Moderator Control Panel ]

Forces War Records (military identification)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Re: Forces War Records (military identification)

Postby timhomewood » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:58 pm

The attached photo is part of our family photo collection but we haven't been able to identify the two chaps who look like brothers. Any help with the time period and army unit and other information would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Tim

(Sorry the attachment didn't work).
timhomewood

Postby Stratman » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:25 pm

Wondering if you can help me identify the regiments / units of these ancestors who served during WW1. Thanks

Ray
Attachments
WW1 uniforms 4x.jpg
WW1 uniforms 4x.jpg (57.84 KiB) Viewed 3280 times
Stratman

Postby JonathanJB » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:01 pm

I've just found a photo of my Great Grandfather taken in c. 1917 (making him about 39) which shows him an army uniform. I haven't previously found any military records for him, so would appreciate any help in identifying the uniform. Thanks
Attachments
George c.1917.jpg
George c.1917.jpg (187.09 KiB) Viewed 3273 times
JonathanJB

Postby Tigertabby » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:11 pm

My Great Uncle, Charles Wesley Marr,was born in 1896 and was killed in France on 11 September 1916 . He was serving with the First Surrey Rifles – 2/21 London Regiment which was a TA regiment. After Charles died, 2nd Lieutenant Arthur Antrobus wrote to Charles's father, also Charles Marr, to say that he was actually in the trench and witnessed the death Charles Wesley. At the time Arthur was serving in the 8th Middlesex but was attached to 2/21 London Regiment (First Surrey Rifles) in which Charles served. After his death, Charles Senior and Arthur seem to have struck up a friendship and continued to write to each other during the course of WW1 and I now have some of Arthur's letters and photos that I believe Arthur may be in. Are you able to tell from the picture and taking into account Arthur’s rank, if he may be in these pictures? I have no idea where these pictures were taken! I’d be grateful for any help or pointers. Thank you.
Attachments
IMG - Copy.jpg
IMG - Copy.jpg (231.74 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
Tigertabby

Postby HeyerFan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:37 pm

I have been told that this is a photo of my 3 x Great Grandfather, his wife and some of his children. Thomas was born in 1825 and joined the 76th Regt of Foot in 1840, serving for 24 years (rising from Pte to Sgt). On his discharge in 1864 he was appointed a 1st Class Sergeant Instructor on the permanent staff of the Galloway Rifle Volunteers. However, I have been told that the uniform shown in this photo is that of the Royal Engineers. Is there any reason why he might have been photographed in a RE uniform? Or, is this not my relative at all? What date would you say this photo was taken? I do not own the original photo and therefore have no knowledge as to where it was taken. With thanks for any help you can give me!
Attachments
Thomas & Nancy Walsh with some of their children.jpg
Thomas & Nancy Walsh with some of their children.jpg (191.78 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
HeyerFan

Postby EricHeaton » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:39 pm

Hello Mr Bennington

Attached are pictures of two people who may be the parents of my ancestors, Captain Joshua Garthside of the 21st Light Dragoons and his wife or they may be the parents of Ann Elizabeth Garthside the wife of Captain Garthside. Can you help me to identify the uniform of the man and possibly the period? Thank you.
Last edited by EricHeaton on Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
EricHeaton

Postby EricHeaton » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:49 pm

Hello Mr Bennington

This is an image of my ancestor, Captain Joshua Garthside of the 21st Light Dragoons. He died in Cape Colony in 1809 (Reason not yet known)

His Colonel was Banastre Tarleton who was infamous during the American Revolution for his actions.

I understand that Colonel Tarleton designed a type of head wear for his regiment in America and I wondered if the 21st Light Dragoons were wearing the same type of head wear.

Thank you

Eric Heaton
EricHeaton

Postby EricHeaton » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:55 pm

Hello Mr Bennington

Attached is an image of my Great Grandfather, Hugh Edward Malloy who served in the Boer War. Can you identify his uniform. He later served in WW1 as a Company Quartermaster. Thank you, Eric Heaton
Attachments
Hugh Edward Malloy.jpg
Hugh Edward Malloy.jpg (89.8 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
EricHeaton

Postby lyngil » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:19 pm

This photo is of William Alfred Grange of Bushey, Herts and his six sons who all served in WWI and, to quote their mother Caroline, "came through without a scratch".
They are back row L - R William J Grange, Arthur H Grange , Stephen J Grange
Front row L - R Edward Grange, Frederick E Grange, William Alfred Grange, Samuel Grange.
We know that Arthur served in Australian Imperial Army and that Edward served with 7th battalion Essex Regt because we have their service records.
We know that Stephen was a gunner in 156th Brigade BEF and Frederick appears to have the same cap badge. That leaves William ( back left) and Samuel (Front right). Please can you help identify their units from their cap badges? A letter dated 22.11.18 says that William is in Egypt and Samuel is in Scotland.
Thank you.
Attachments
Grange, William Alfred 1847 & sons.jpg
Grange, William Alfred 1847 & sons.jpg (203.47 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
lyngil

Postby sarahlou13 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:22 pm

This photo was found in a family archive, but we're not sure who it is. If you were able to determine the regiment, era (etc) from the uniform, then it would probably help us pinpoint who he is...

Thanks very much!
Attachments
88b413c4cb8ef87cb7c240712e2c016f.jpg
88b413c4cb8ef87cb7c240712e2c016f.jpg (56.91 KiB) Viewed 2994 times
sarahlou13

PreviousNext

Return to Live web chats