Moderator Control Panel ]

Hair and clothes

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Hair and clothes

Postby Eugenie » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:59 am

I found this photo on very thin paper among my mothers possessions.
Can anyone give me an approximate date by looking at the clothes and hair style? I'm guessing around 1890s. It would have been in London.
Attachments
mystery woman 2.jpeg
mystery woman 2.jpeg (8.44 KiB) Viewed 3481 times
Eugenie

Re: Hair and clothes

Postby gollygollyamuse » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:48 pm

I have a cousin who might be able to help you. Vintage fashion, antique clothing, is her area of interest. She's developed a real talent for identifying period clothing. I will share your photo with her and get back to you. Thank you for sharing! I love seeing old photos.
gollygollyamuse

Postby Eugenie » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:19 pm

That's very kind of you. It's a very poor photo I'm afraid.
Eugenie

Postby gollygollyamuse » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:41 pm

I believe there is enough detail to get you a ballpark date. I think she'll be able to develop some opinion based on the baby's shoes, as well as the neck, sleeves and bodice style of the woman's dress. I've already emailed her the photo. I'm interested to know her opinion. (I'm thinking the photo is circa 1860-1880, but I'm probably wrong as usual. Lol!)
gollygollyamuse

Postby Eugenie » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:27 am

I was thinking around the 1890s but would be very interested to hear what your friend has to say. My first impression was that the woman looked sad and poor but in fact that's a chunky baby and I suppose you had to be reasonably comfortable to have a portrait done.
Eugenie

Postby gollygollyamuse » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:33 pm

I bet the woman was most likely concentrating on keeping the baby as still as possible so the photographer to get the shot. I'm thinking that's quite possibly her concentrating instead of sadness you see.
gollygollyamuse

Postby Eugenie » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:49 pm

Good point!
Eugenie

Postby gollygollyamuse » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:18 pm

Finally heard back from my cousin. She wrote:
"I'm not too sure when the photo you shared of the mother & child in London was taken. My guess would be 1880s to 1900s. The Jack the Ripper Casebook http://www.casebook.org is a wonderful resource for all things pertaining to Victorian & Edwardian London, regardless of whether or not it has anything to do with Jack the Ripper. The folks on the message board are very helpful even with off topic research. "

Sorry she couldn't be more specific. If you try the casebook.org forum as she suggested, let me know how that works out for you. I'm interested to know what, if anything, you're able to discover about the photo.
gollygollyamuse

Postby Eugenie » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:21 am

That's great information and I will certainly try "The Jack the Ripper Casebook" .
Eugenie

Return to Photo identification