Moderator Control Panel ]

Uniform Identification Help Royal Artillery India

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Uniform Identification Help Royal Artillery India

Postby MikeDutton » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi, This is Martin O'Donnell. My Grandfather. I am trying to see if he was in the Royal Horse Artillery or the Royal Garrison Artillery. We know he was at the Dardenelles, France and as this picture, India in 1918. Does the uniform give any clue? He was a colourful character who started off as a Sergeant but after spending New Years Eve with the black watch fell off his Horse on parade and was demoted.
Attachments
MODONNELLSmall.jpg
MODONNELLSmall.jpg (102.03 KiB) Viewed 716 times
MikeDutton

Re: Uniform Identification Help Royal Artillery India

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:22 pm

I hate to say this but I wouldn't have recognised his clothes as being army uniform, never mind telling the difference between branches of the artillery.

I think you may do better trying to see what the possible records are for him in the Medal Index Cards. You need to look for someone of the right name, in some branch of the artillery and with a 1914-15 or 1914 Star. He would be entitled to that Star because he was at Gallipoli so was outside the UK before the end of 1915.

Having said that, there are 3 branches of the artillery. Royal Horse, Royal Field and Royal Garrison. The RGA did not use horses (though maybe the officers had them? ) The MICs may also not distinguish between RFA & RHA - I can't remember but it's surely worth trying.

Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help