Moderator Control Panel ]

Squadron 29

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Squadron 29

Postby campbrd1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:51 pm

Hello, would anyone one have any information with respect to 29 Squadron of the RAF between 30th November 1942 to 25 May 1943. What I am looking for are the Squadron's war diaries for that period and any photos that may have included ground crew in a formation or at work on aircraft? I'm looking for information with respect to a James Dollard Theriault who was a Radio Mechanic with this Squadron during this time period. He worked on RDF radio Direction Finding or as we know it today as radar. His rank was a T/cpl. He is Canadian and was a radio repairman before the war and because he had some 14 years experience he did a few weeks military training in Toronto, Ontario, Canada then a six week course on radar provided by the RAF at Clinton, Ontario, in Canada. Then he was immediately shipped to England.

Things I know were that the squadron was a night fighter squadron and radar was the means they used to track and shoot down German planes over England.

I'm interested in any of the squadron's records for that period and appreciate any help you can give me in locating them. Regards....Robert
campbrd1

Re: Squadron 29

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:36 pm

The equivalent of the War Diaries are at The National Archives and many can be downloaded (at a cost, of course!)

Se http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-subject/raf-squadron.htm for operations record books and combat reports.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:15 pm

There is also the RAF Museum and Archive at Hendon, Middlesex. I found the archivist very helpful in finding information on my grandfather's service in the RFC and RAF.
brunes08

Postby campbrd1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:59 am

I have since found out that the airfield he was stationed at was West Malling and that the aircraft in use in defensive night fighting with radar were Beaufighters. He would have serviced their radar units. If anyone is familiar with the area around West Malling are there museums close by or genealogy groups that deal with West Malling WWII history?

Any feedback much appreciated....Robert Campbell
campbrd1

Squadron 29

Postby paulr1949 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:03 am

West Malling airfield is now the large Kings Hill housing estate. I'm not aware of any local museums, although there is a small aircraft museum in Shoreham, Kent, about 10 miles away. Kenneth archives might be able to help. The other "local" airfield was Biggin Hill, which is celebrating its centenary this year, but I don't believe they have a museum as such.
HTH

Also there is the North West Kent FHS, although West Malling is perhaps out of its area, Maidstone would be the one to look for, sorry I'm not sure if there is one or what it's called

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby JaneyH » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:18 am

Hi Robert,

I live just down the road from the former RAF West Malling in Kent. While I can't help with your enquiry directly I can provide a few pointers from local history sites that may be of use. The RAF base was a couple of miles away from the village, and has now a massive housing development on which is a new town called King's Hill. There are still a few original buildings remaining though; the former control tower has been restored and now houses a branch of Costa Coffee!

There's a Facebook page for RAF West Malling with lots of old photos on - no doubt some of the people who post there will be very knowledgeable about the history of the base: https://www.facebook.com/RAFWestMalling/

You also might be interested in the "Twitch Inn" which was a bar in the basement of a local manor house used by RAF officers. It has been preserved and is occasionally open to the public. More info here: http://www.themallingsociety.org.uk/about/twitch-heritage-centre/ If you go to the home page of this site there are contact details for the Malling Society, so again you might someone with local knowledge who can help you.

There are also some discussions on the Kent History Forum that may provide some background for you: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11304.0

Good luck with your research, Janey
JaneyH

Return to Military help