Moderator Control Panel ]

Help needed to identify two ww1 military uniforms

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Help needed to identify two ww1 military uniforms

Postby shamwari » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi
I attach three photos of my grandfather who served in ww1. The first two are of him ( back right) with 3 others. The third is of him on his own wearing a different type of uniform. Family believe he served in the Army Service Corps in Salonika and then went to Russia. He was apparently awarded a silver topped cane for best dressed soldier. He could have served under the name Frederick Nicholls or Frederick Owens.

I have him on the absent voters list for Newcastle upon Tyne of 1919-20 which states he was in ASC in Aldershot. I cannot find the absent voters list for 1918-19 either in newcastle central library or Discovery centre. There are a few possible medal cards on ancestry but I cannot tie them in. Please would you help me identify the two uniforms and if, unbelievably, anyone recognises one of the other 3 men, and knows of their ww1 movements that would be very helpful!

Thank you.

ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1412255744.031237.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1412255744.031237.jpg (84.24 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1412255802.698976.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1412255802.698976.jpg (93.47 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1412255836.570264.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1412255836.570264.jpg (64.17 KiB) Viewed 1106 times

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
shamwari

Re: Help needed to identify two ww1 military uniforms

Postby phsvm » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:40 am

I'm not an expert but that looks like an Army Service Corp cap badge.

You may find it worth posting on the Great War Forum -

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... hp?act=idx

There will be people on there who have a specific interest in WW1 uniforms who may be able to help. No offence meant to anyone on this site who are know are an absolute gold mine of info but don't seem to have been able to come up with anything here.
phsvm

Re: Help needed to identify two ww1 military uniforms

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:27 pm

I agree that the Great War Forum is the best place for expertise in these matters. However - I'm trying not to sound critical so please forgive me if it sounds the other way - but what do you actually want to know?

You've got the information from the Absent Voters List (congratulations there, good move) - that shows he was in the Army Service Corps (at least when the AVL was compiled).

As far as the photos go, there are a number of regiments or corps with a star burst badge - a couple with a star burst without a scroll underneath. One of those is the ASC. (I don't know that off the top of my head - it came up in another thread recently). Without the AVL we couldn't be certain which regiment or corps we were looking at. With it, we can be certain that they are ASC soldiers.

The caps have floppy edges because soldiers had a habit of taking the reinforcing wire out. I think this would be frowned on in later years by Regulars.

The lighter coloured jacket is then about the only other interesting bit - it may be one used in hotter climes or it might be a workshop jacket.

It may be that I've missed things out because they are obvious to me but not to you. Please ask if I have....

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help