Moderator Control Panel ]

Peter Bailey (British in India)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Peter Bailey (British in India)

Postby Jon Bauckham » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:35 am

Jon Bauckham

Re: Peter Bailey (British in India)

Postby ewanarm » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:35 am

Hi

I am currently struggling with my great grandfather Frederick Sanders Lakeman who was born in Ceylon in 1856. He was the son of Stephen Lakeman and Emma Charlotte Sanders. Stephen was a coffee planter and I have found out that Frederick was orphaned by 1866. Any advice into finding further records in Ceylon would be appreciated

Many thanks

Regards

Ewan Armstrong
ewanarm

Postby Sylcec » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi Peter - good to see you on this forum!!

From Bengal Soldiers Registers, William Johnson attested London 2 Apr 1856 for 12 years, served as Gunner 4 Co. 3 Battalion Bengal Artillery, with Regtl No. ?8971. He took his discharge in June 1859 per ?GGO 883.

Your book "Researching Ancestors in the East India Company Armies" (FIBIS guide no.1), p.51 has a list of Ref Nos for L/MIL/10/308 spread over 9 LDS films; ref nos starting 1 - 5849.
Question: is there any way of knowing or estimating where William Johnson of 4 Co 3Bn may show up in this list?

(By the way - there were at least 20 men named William Johnson or Johnston/e who attested for Bengal army in the period 1850-1856; but the above man is the only one whose Co & Bn nos fit with info on his daughter's baptism record).
Thanks- Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby juliespav » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi Peter

My Great Grandfather James Henry Shore was born 04.10.1857 in Chunar, Bengal, to James Shore and Eliza Shore [Ireland]. James Shore died 12.09.1857 in Allahabad from Dysentry, he was in the European Invalid Battalion.
James and Eliza married 12.09.1837 in Cawnpore, Bengal. On the marriage record James has a birth year of 1809, and was a Bombadier Foot Battalion.
I have not been able to find James Shore b 1809 service records, do you have any suggestions as to how I can trace him either back in Britain or before 1837 in India?
Eliza was (I believe) baptised 15.12.1823 in Dinapore, Bengal, to parents William Ireland and Lucy Ireland [Hill] who married 30.09.1822 in Fort William, Bengal. Any idea how to find more information on these two, were they born in India as well or did where did they come from in Britain?
Any suggestions gratefully received!

Many thanks, Julie
juliespav

Postby MoVidger » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:16 pm

Dear Peter,

My friend and I have hit a brick wall with one of her India-born ancestors:

Mary Simpson was born in Cuddalore, India in 1852 (according to the 1891 UK census).

Father: James Simpson (age and occupation unknown)
Mother: unknown

In 1870, Mary married Abraham Holmes in St Thomas, Madras whilst he was serving in the British Army (45th Regiment). Their first 3 children were born Wellington, Rangoon, and Bangalore. By 1879, the Abraham had re-located his family to Bradford, West Yorkshire where the family continued to grow.

We have checked with the India Office at the British Library, but they only have the brief 1870 marriage entry for Abraham and Mary. This record indicates James Simpson as Mary's father, and her 1852 birth year.

We have also searched the India Office Records on www.familysearch.org for a likely birth/baptism entry for Mary Simpson, but to no avail.

If you can offer any suggestions with regards to researching Mary's birth and parental details a bit further, we'd be very grateful.

Thanks very much,
Mo
MoVidger

Postby steph9555 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:21 pm

Hi Peter
I am at a brick wall and have been for some time. I, trying to find out information on my 3 great grandmother Jane Burke born 1850 Secunderbad India father Chales Burke. Jane was married when she was 14 to a soilder William Doyle 1864 Kamptee Bengal, was this normal to marry just a child, and why was she so young? William served as a sergent in the RHA, and together they had three children, Ellen 1866 Kamptee Bengal, William 1869 Kamptee, Fanny 1871 Trinmlgherry Madras, William died 28th Aug 1871 in India, but a I don't know how to find this out, and how can I locate his army records? would there be any since he died in India. Jane went on to Marry Robert Welch 1872 again in Trinmlgherry. I hope you are able to help me, many thanks for your time in advance.
Kind regards steph
steph9555

Postby Millst » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi Peter
Please would you advise me on how to find more information about my 3 x great grandfather, Edmond O'Brien.

Edmond died in 1827 and his burial record gives his occupation as a Police Officer. In a testament included with his will, he is described as a fire fighter with the Calcutta Police Force. His wife, Mary, and two daughters were living in London but Mary obtained a bond and they travelled out to India. The probate was not finalised until 1831. I have not found a widow's pension record for Mary.

I would like to find out more information about Edmond, his occupation and whether there are attestation papers that may give his place of baptism and name of parents. The cause of death was not recorded on the burial record and I would love to know whether he died of illness or whether there was some sort of incident.

Mary and her daughters may have stayed in India, or returned later, as Mary Ann married Captain Henry FitzSimon of the 29th Bengal Native Infantry and Ellen married Joseph Burke of HM 50th Regiment in 1843.

I am a member of FIBIS and of FindMyPast and have been searching for Edmond on both these websites.

Many thanks.
Millst

Postby pat lea » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:37 am

Hello Peter
Can you advise me please where in Mumbai I can find records about my Great Grandparents, they were born there and lived and had a family there.From 1830s on and they were of Jewish origin.
Their surname is Grossman.They had business in Mumbai and Kolkata.
Patricia Lea
pat lea

Postby merisykes » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:39 am

Hello Peter,
I would be grateful & thankful for any advice! My gt grandfather Collingwood Sykes served in both the 1st 7th Dragoon Guards stationed in India. I would like to know if he was stationed in Rawalpindi all the time! Plus I would love to know more about the cantonments where the family lived. Many thanks.
merisykes

Postby Black Rose » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi Peter

My great great grandfather was a sergeant major in the Royal Artillery based in Bombay from about 1875 to 1885. He was married in Bombay in 1878 and had 4 children of which 2 died and 2 lived. He came back to England was imprisoned for stealing in 1887. In 1888 he made a bigamous marriage and went to work as a porter in the workhouse. I then lose track of him.
His two daughters married in 1901 and 1904 and on their marriage certs he is not listed as deceased and he is listed as a soldier on one and a sergeant major as another.
My question is, would it be likely that he would re join the army as he was 45 at the turn of the century? Would he have been re instated as a sergeant major after he had a criminal record? I still have no idea where he went after 1888 or where he died. Perhaps his daughters just put soldier on their marriage cert as they didn't know any different.
Best Wishes
Julie Cartledge
Black Rose

Next

Return to Live web chats