Moderator Control Panel ]

donoly or donelley

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

donoly or donelley

Postby meganwillow » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:20 pm

an ancestor of mine,
amos holding born 1818 married francis eliza donolly
amos was born keysoe.
there is also an amos holding born 1821 Brampton who also married an eliza donelley.
I have being told my separate people that both are my relation and the other one is wrong. I am completely baffled, could someone please check the 1841 census for me please for the one born keysoe as I feel this could be the correct amos. thank you
meganwillow

Re: donoly or donelley

Postby junkers » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:04 pm

Checking the 1841 census won't help as it will just say whether they were born in the county or not and not individual parishes.
junkers

Postby isobelc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:12 pm

There is only one Amos Holding listed in 1841. He and his family are living in Brampton and he is described as age 20, not born in county (Huntingdonshire). Others in the household are Eliza 25 Robert 1 and Louisa Donley 9 all born in Huntingdonshire. Adult ages in 1841 were rounded to the nearest 5.
This is the same family that appears in 1851 in Ellington where Amos is described as born 1818 in Keysoe, Beds. and is a gamekeeper with wife Eliza and a son Robert age 11 born Brampton( plus other younger children). In 1861 the same family is in Harringworth.
I think there is only one Amos Holding/Eliza Donnelly. As Amos was born in Bedfordshire he would be 'not born in county' in 1841 and even if he was born in 1817/18 could still be described as age 20. Also son Robert matches in both 1841 and 1851 and his place of birth puts the family in Brampton in 1840.
Regards,
Isobel
isobelc

Postby meganwillow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:21 am

thank you very much for the help ,I have had two people telling me its two different families and that they are right and the other wrong .both claim they have checked records etc.i know most of the male side were game eepers, and it seemed strange when one turned up as a policeman.l
meganwillow

Postby catfordcrooner » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:10 pm

Neither Donoly or Donelley
Her name was Eliza Donley, born Huntingdonshire 1815. They married in Huntingdon April 1838
catfordcrooner

Postby Jenkojenkins » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:17 am

Hey guys, I too am related to a Amos holding who married an Eliza Donnelly. Eliza's dad was James Donnelly and mum Anne Ray. They had a son William who is my great great grandfather. What I am curious to know is where was Amos Holding from and how old was he? It says in births deaths and marriages in Victoria, Australia William died in Warburton in 1902 aged 59, which would mean he was born in or around 1843. William married Louisa Donnelly in 1869, her parents were William Joseph Donnelly and Elizabeth Clarke. Am I wrong or are these dates an names correct? The names I read in your comments confuse me as it seems like cousins have married or brother an sister. Yet I am pretty sure I have traced this correctly
Jenkojenkins

Return to General research queries