Moderator Control Panel ]

Reggie Yates's episode

Discuss the brand new series of Who Do You Think You Are? featuring the likes of Julie Walters, Brian Blessed and Billy Connolly

Reggie Yates's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:09 pm

Hello everyone,

In this evening's episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, actor and presenter Reggie Yates travels to Ghana to investigate his father's side of the family and stories of English ancestry.

As ever, post your thoughts below! If you have any questions about the making of the programme or your own Ghanaian ancestry, you can post them on our live web chats section where they will be answered by Dr Carina Ray (an expert from the episode) tomorrow afternoon from 4pm.

Best wishes,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Reggie Yates's episode

Postby Markymoomoo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:05 pm

This episode surprised me. I wasn't sure what to expect from someone so young, but his story was an poignant one, his reaction to what he discovered touching and his ancestry fascinating. Loved the Chief :)
Markymoomoo

Postby jeanp » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Really enjoyed the episode about Reggie Yates. I had been puzzled as to why I couldn't find one of my relatives in the 1911 census. I then found him on a passenger list arriving at Liverpool in June 1911, having boarded the ship at Sekondi in Ghana. Two months later, in August 1911, he got married, and his occupation was given as 'Mining Engineer', so it's possible that's what he was doing in Ghana. Can anyone point me to where I might be able to find more information about his time there: his employers, where he lived etc. (I wonder if he left any children there??!)

Thanks
jeanp

Postby Tabithabenef » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:25 pm

I had no idea who Reggie yates was - but gave it a try

It was another very good episode - I loved the chief and handing over the bottles of spirts at the visits. I learnt a lot about that part of the world & what not to do when you visit the chief.

It was a little like the Hugh Quarshie episode - I love it when they visit other countries and cultures and he was really interested in the history of the family - funny how family life seems to go round in circles without us knowing about previous events.
Tabithabenef

Postby SandraH » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:15 pm

jeanp wrote:Really enjoyed the episode about Reggie Yates. I had been puzzled as to why I couldn't find one of my relatives in the 1911 census. I then found him on a passenger list arriving at Liverpool in June 1911, having boarded the ship at Sekondi in Ghana. Two months later, in August 1911, he got married, and his occupation was given as 'Mining Engineer', so it's possible that's what he was doing in Ghana. Can anyone point me to where I might be able to find more information about his time there: his employers, where he lived etc. (I wonder if he left any children there??!)

Thanks

Hi, My grandfather was a gold mining engineer in Ghana during the 2nd world war. His work mate came back and married and lived in Leicester. When his work mate died, his wife was very surprised when his black family came to the funeral. My grandfathers's name was Walter John Harvey. My mother told me that 2 of the ships that he travelled on were sunk. I have found on the internet that one was bombed and one torpedoed. I have not established if he was on them both when they were sunk though! I too wonder if he had a wife and children in Ghana. It seems that it was common practice.
SandraH

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2014