Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here
Post a reply

School Records on FindMyPast

Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:23 am

If you get chance to check out the new school records on FindMyPast, you may be lucky enough to find out some interesting information about your ancestors.

For example, I discovered that my great-aunts were both admitted to school on May 1st 1894. The elder sister was 5 and 9 months and the younger sister was 4 years 2 months.

In September 1896, the elder sister had made good progress in all subjects. However, in April 1897 (according to page numbering) she was described as a "bad reader" in Standard I.

In September 1901, my granddad had "returned to school having been absent from home." In early March 1902, he was "again absent through illness". He was also away the following week "all week, not being sufficiently recovered to return."

It is possible there are other references to my granddad, for example when he joined the school, but they may not have been indexed. I am guessing the mysterious absences from home was due to a convalescent period or family holiday in Devon, unless he had run away! He was asthmatic so a convalescence is more likely.

In January 1911, one boy had been absent from school "while employed by" my great-grandfather who was a farmer.
Post a reply