Moderator Control Panel ]

Problems accessing Military Records on Ancestry

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Problems accessing Military Records on Ancestry

Postby brunes08 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:19 pm

Two days ago, I found the 1WW records of my grandfather's brother on Ancestry using my i-pad. I made some notes so that I could access the record again on my computer so that I could save it. I have entered the exact same information but to no avail. Ancestry says it cannot find the person. I have juggled the information but still it will not provide the record. I have even put the service number in and regiment. I have also put in the briefest amount of information. This has happened before on other records. Why does it happen and is there a way around it? Any help would be gratefully appreciated as this is so frustrating.
brunes08

Re: Problems accessing Military Records on Ancestry

Postby ColinB » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:17 pm

Is it possible that you've either ticked or unticked an option in the search filters that's causing the problem ? I've noticed that search parameters are often not 'sticky' from one search to the next. If you want to give a few details I'm sure someone would have a look for you.

Colin
ColinB

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:18 pm

As for "why" well I strongly suspect that the queries run from your iPad execute differently - the browser software on the iPad will be different and it may even (because of that) invoke different software on Ancestry's servers.

For that matter if I run the same query in the same browser but one on the .com site and one on the .co.uk site, would I get the same results? There must be a good chance that at the very least the order of the answers differs.

To get round it - on the normal site running in a pc browser there is the ability to put single records and images into the "shoebox". Does the iPad version have this facility? If so anything you find on the iPad could be put in the shoebox there and then retrieved on the pc. Obviously (?) you need to be signed in as yourself in both places since it's your own shoebox.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby coopernicola » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:04 pm

Are you using the Ancestry app on your iPad? If so there is not a shoebox option, at least on the original version, (I have it on an original iPad running OS 5.1.1). It may be that this has been added to the updated version.
I tend to use the app solely for portable tree work at archives etc. and stick to using the .co.uk site when I am actually searching. This means you can store any records in shoebox to utilise at a later date on your desktop.
coopernicola

Postby brunes08 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Thank you all for your helpful comments and advice. I was accessing Ancestry via the internet and not through an app. I have only just started using my i-pad to look for records. However, I have had this same problem on several occasions just using my computer. I didn't notice if I could access the shoebox via my i-pad but will have another look. I did however Bookmark the record but couldn't find that on the computer access. I'll have another go and see what happens. If I am not successful, I'll post some details. Once again, many thanks.
brunes08

Postby brunes08 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:34 pm

Just to let you know that I have now managed to save the correct record. There is a shoebox on Ancestry when accessing it from my i-pad so I must have a slightly newer version. Not being overly technically minded, I just do my best with these modern gadgets. I no longer have a computer friendly teenager at home! Many thanks once again, your help is much appreciated.
brunes08

Postby coopernicola » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:43 pm

No worries, glad you got it sorted.
coopernicola

Return to Military help