Moderator Control Panel ]

Carina Ray (mixed-race ancestry)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Re: Reggie Yates's episode

Postby Carina Ray » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:18 pm

nicolajr wrote:I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this episode, and it left me wondering when we could see part two of Reggie's story! Was there any further oral history about Sarah and Dorothy? What were the family backgrounds of George William Yates, and Mr Lloyd? Does Reggie find any descendants from their other families?

Reggie himself was a delight, clearly interested in the story emerging, and very respectful of how he should behave in a traditional setting.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the episode, Nicolajr. I'm not sure whether the BBC plans to do a part two, but if you are interested in these kinds of issues I would be happy to share some of my own research with you which gives you a sense of the social and political context in which Dorothy and George were negotiating their relationship. Dorothy was a very interesting woman in her own right and is a figure worthy of greater study. George William Yates was British-born and had travelled to South Africa with his white wife and their first child before returning to London, where the family resettled, and then he went off to the Gold Coast where he began his relationship with Dorothy. As his obituary suggests he was an itinerant worker, traveling around the world for lucrative work, and as a result he was an itinerant father. Obviously he returned to his children in London, but not to Harry and this gets at some of the deeper tensions in how we are to understand the relationship between George and Dorothy. Clearly it was not a "fling" as might have been the case between Sarah and Mr. Lloyd. George and Dorothy set up a home and were recognized as a married couple - something that was almost unheard of in the nineteen-teens in the Gold Coast, and there is some information to suggest that he wanted to bring Harry back to London with him - but obviously not Dorothy. So its complicated...as humans are and when you add in questions around race in the context of colonialism we can begin to see that George pushed some boundaries, but not all of them!

Please check out the following link that will give you a sense of the historical context and changing public opinion in the Gold Coast about these relationships:

http://ahr.oxfordjournals.org/content/1 ... ubsDHJjY0w
Carina Ray

Re: Free help with researching mixed-race ancestors

Postby Carina Ray » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:21 pm

Bevmawer wrote:I am researching my grandfather george jackson 1871-1924
B georgia 1871
Lived in Ohio unknown date
Moved to England 8.9.1905 on campania to liverpool England was a coal hewer
D Leeds 24.9.1924

Father charley jackson B georgia mother Georgian Jackson B Virginia

Believed to be slaves on the shoulderbone plantation in georgia owned by a family called Jackson

How do I find the following records please

1. Birth record for George Jackson
2. Marriage record for charley and georgian
3. Birth records for charley and Georgian
4. Entry from Zulu land in Africa to US

Here is pic of grandad george in England who played the bass drum in the Salvation Army he was well respected having married a white woman who was already a single mum

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1411716711.307377.jpg[attachment]

Any help appreciated
Bx

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum

Dear Bevmawr -- a quick question while I mull over all of yours. You mention in point #4 that you are looking for records that show entry from South Africa to the US. But whose entry do you refer to? And do have a year for this?
Carina Ray

Re: Carina Ray (mixed-race ancestry)

Postby Carina Ray » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:35 pm

jamesgibbs wrote:The programme last night raised many issues and made a fascinating companion piece to the WDYTYA that explored Hugh Quarshie’s ancestry. Both, for example, raised questions about the relationship between oral and written history.

As far as written sources are concerned, the sorry state of Ghana archives could, once again, be glimpsed. In the Quarshie programme we saw the archive in Accra, and last night we saw that in Sekondi - Takoradi. We also heard you refer to the condition of paper records that were clearly in need of urgent treatment.

The impression left from these programme is that the Ghanaian Public Records and Archives Administration Department (PRAAD) is seriously under-financed and under resourced.

I wonder if you know of steps being taken to improve the situation? For example, what contributions do the producers of WDYTYA make to PRAAD for the use they make of their facilities?

Yours James Gibbs

Dear James,

The point you raise is an extraordinarily important one and I'm so glad to hear that the endangered state of the archives came through on the episode last night (full disclosure - I am based in the US and as such have not been able to see the program yet since the web broadcast is only available to UK viewers and our cable provider doesn't have BBC One).

Your question about what the producers of WDYTYA contribute to the local archives they use is one that is best put to them and I will certainly register it with them.

Having worked in numerous regional branches of PRAAD I can say without hesitation that they are all in need of serious funding for infrastructure improvements so that the documents do not continue to deteriorate and then there is the question of funding to improve access, but the first is obviously the most important. Of all of the branches PRAAD in Accra has the best infrastructure and space, but even it needs far greater funding on a consistent basis. Regional archives in Sekondi and Cape Coast in particular face the threat of the sea air which is dissolving the documents at a quicker rate.

There has been several different initiatives to address some of these issues, but they are on a much smaller scale than what is truly needed. I know a colleague, Ismael Montana, received an British Library Endangered Archives grant to do preservation work at the PRAAD branch in Tamale. Myself and my colleague Kofi Baku at the History Dept at Legon are renewing efforts to get an Endangered Archives grant for the Cape Coast archives. But as you can see these are piecemeal at best and do not offer the kind of sustained and comprehensive set of solutions that is necessary. To be frank that has to come from the government of Ghana - they are the only long term answer. Outside funding is needed to address archives in the greatest peril that can't wait for the government of Ghana to prioritize PRAAD, but the latter has to happen if Ghana's archival heritage is going to survive for future generations.

Last, most of the scholars that work in the archives in Ghana digitize the material they are working with. I have been in conversation with another historian about trying to systematize these disparate undertakings so that we can actually begin to see what has been digitized and how we could bring that together as a "back up" - without offering it as a solution to the real issue of preservation. There is so much more that could be said on this topic and lots of debates around what digitization means for the long term viability of archives, but now is not the time or place for that discussion, but rather the message that needs to get out is that a concerted effort has to be made to preserve Ghana's rich archives!
Carina Ray

Postby Bevmawer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:49 pm

Carina Ray wrote:
B georgia 1871
D Leeds 24.9.1924

Believed to be slaves on the shoulderbone plantation in georgia owned by a family called Jackson

Here is pic of grandad george in England who played the bass drum in the Salvation Army he was well respected having married a white woman who was already a single mum

Any help appreciated
Bx

Dear Bevmawr -- a quick question while I mull over all of yours. You mention in point #4 that you are looking for records that show entry from South Africa to the US. But whose entry do you refer to? And do have a year for this?

Hi Carina

I suppose I will be looking for slave records of those capture and put on a ship to the US unfortunately I have been told my great great grandfather who would have been known as Charley in Slavery came over. Not sure what year but assume early 1800's. if you look under ancestry family trees my user name is bevmawer you will be able to see what I have put in from the male jackson line tha we understood were born in slavery.

Thank you bx
Bevmawer

Postby Carina Ray » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:56 pm

B georgia 1871
D Leeds 24.9.1924

Any help appreciated
Bx

Bevmawr -- My best suggestion would be to use some of the established data bases that track the births and deaths of enslaved peoples, as well as records of sale since it sounds like Georgian must have been sold into the shoulderbone plantation. Here are a couple of starting points:

http://www.afrigeneas.com/library/ga-slavebills/
http://emilyevaughn.com/gaslavebirths.htm
http://www.georgiagenealogysearch.com/

Hope this is helpful. I'd love to hear more about George's marriage to the white British woman. I write about West African men married to British women during the interwar years as well.
Carina Ray

Postby Bevmawer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:03 pm

Carina Ray wrote:
B georgia 1871
D Leeds 24.9.1924

Any help appreciated
Bx

Bevmawr -- My best suggestion would be to use some of the established data bases that track the births and deaths of enslaved peoples, as well as records of sale since it sounds like Georgian must have been sold into the shoulderbone plantation. Here are a couple of starting points:

http://www.afrigeneas.com/library/ga-slavebills/
http://emilyevaughn.com/gaslavebirths.htm
http://www.georgiagenealogysearch.com/

Hope this is helpful. I'd love to hear more about George's marriage to the white British woman. I write about West African men married to British women during the interwar years as well.

Thank you so much I have not come across these sites so that is my weekend taken care of. I would love to share with you the story can I e-mail you from here in the next couple of weeks. I am very proud of my heritage albeit I suffered from rascism greatly at school but it did not deter my spirit. My granddad was a man hugely respected in Leeds being the only black man to join the salvation army

Thank you again for your wonder ful help - you could never know how much it would mean to really trully know who I am.
bx
Bevmawer

Postby Jon Bauckham » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:15 pm

It's now gone 5pm!

Thanks to those who have asked questions, and thanks especially to Carina for taking time out of your schedule to participate in the web chat. I think we can all agree that Reggie's episode was fantastic instalment of WDYTYA? and really shone a light on an area of history we don't hear about enough in the UK.

Next week we'll be welcoming Peter Bailey from the Families in British India Society (FIBIS) for another live web chat at 11am on Saturday 4th October. If you have any brick walls relating to ancestors who lived in India during the days of the Raj, now is your time to get some help!

Best wishes,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby Philvardon » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:22 pm

I wonder if this could be forwarded to Carina and Reggie.
Having been alerted by a friend, who watched the episode on iPlayer, I think I am related to Reggie through Dorothy née Lloyd. According to my Dad in Accra, we are descended from Dorothy through her second marriage - we're Vardons and Dorothy is my great-grandmother through the Vardon line. I'd love to know more about Dorothy, Sarah, the Yates's and Vardons of Sekondi.
Many thanks,
Phil Vardon
Philvardon

Postby dlloyd » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:46 pm

I did enjoy the Reggie Yates episode. I am descended from Augustus George Lloyd, the ancestor referred to as Mr Lloyd. I would be very interested in following up any connections to A G Lloyd as we know very little about his time in Ghana. I would love to get in touch with any descendents of Dorothy.
dlloyd

Postby Ykeb » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:21 pm

I am hoping that despite it being 2 weeks later that this message still reaches the relevant people. Unfortunately I was unable to attend the live chat hence my post the day before.

@Michel, you know me well. I am even a Facebook friend. You have met my mother and you are an old friend of my uncle Fritz. That should identify me.

@Carina, I am very grateful for the information on F.L. Bartels' book as well as the J.O. Hammond's involvement in translating the bible. I was not aware of that. Reverend G. Acquaah was in fact J.O. Hammond's cousin or nephew. They were definitely related. I do however know that he started building the Wesleyan Methodist church in Saltpond and that one of the windows of the church bears his portrait (there is also a gathering hall next to it named Hammond Hall).

I also know that there is quite some information on the Hammond family available in the Gold Coast newspapers. They were members of the Cape Coast ahenfie and were included as such in Dr. A Casely-Hayford's PhD thesis that is available through the British library thesis service.
Ykeb

PreviousNext

Return to Live web chats