Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Berry's episode

Discuss the brand new series of Who Do You Think You Are? featuring the likes of Julie Walters, Brian Blessed and Billy Connolly

Mary Berry's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:40 pm

In tonight's episode, culinary queen and Great British Bake Off judge Mary Berry traces her roots in Norwich, finding tales of entrepreneurs, workhouse poverty and Victorian scandal.

As ever, post your thoughts on the episode below!

Best wishes,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Mary Berry's episode

Postby Victor Nutt » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:45 pm

This is before the episode airs. Norwich? She's not related to Delia is she?!!

Victor
Victor Nutt

Postby callbrian » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi.
At last a real WDYTYA?
Mary wanted to and did find out things about her family.
It's a shame it wasn't a longer programme. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby ColinB » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:15 pm

An excellent episode , I thought. The broader approach allowing Mary to explore a wider picture made it so much more interesting for me. Even the baking segment was closely related to the research into Robert Houghton , rather than being a superfluous piece tacked on to the program. I admired the way that Mary dealt with a very sad story , distressed but not over reacting as we sometimes see.

More like this one please !

Colin
ColinB

Postby isobelc » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:37 am

Thought this was a terrific episode. The hour just flew in and there was so much more I wanted to know.
Isobel
isobelc

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:09 pm

Absolutely agree with the comments above! At last, a real 'Who Do You Think You Are?' episode, showing how fascinating a tour around different generations can be! This programme moved between family lines, and between generations, and covered lots of fascinating aspects. It will surely have appealed both to those who see the programme as 'entertainment', and those more interested in watching the twists and turns of real Genealogy at work.

It dealt with so many subjects: workhouses, childhood mortality, bankruptcy, the trades of baking and printing. And it was all done in an interesting way, with lots of good information and sourcing. And as said in another comment above, even the practical demo of baking worked. It was kept short, pithy and relevant, rather than feeling like a great dollop of time-filling and irrelevant padding.

I think the only extra information I would have loved to be told, was what happened to the horrible father?

All in all, a real winner! Please, lets have more programmes like this next series, and less like the dreadful over-padded Sheridan Smith episode .
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby junkers » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:46 pm

I thought this was a very good episode and I would also like to know what happened to the disappearing father. I thought the programme showed archive offices and the service they offer but don't expect to be taken into the storeroom.
junkers

Postby ColinB » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Wasn't it great to see original registers - I haven't looked at those since the 70s !! I've had a look for Christopher Berry's burial and found a possible :

Christopher Berry aged 79 6 Jan 1828 Norwich St Helen , home parish Great Hospital ,St Helen

Great Hospital was provided for elderly homeless people , somewhat ironic if it is right !
ColinB

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:57 pm

junkers wrote:... I thought the programme showed archive offices and the service they offer but don't expect to be taken into the storeroom....

Yes, as you say, don't expect to be taken into the storeroom but don't expect to handle original registers and don't expect the archivists to help you with your family history either. In truth it gave a very misleading impression of what WE could expect in a Record Office. That gripe aside I did find this a very interesting programme. Clearly neither story on its own would have sustained a full programme but the two together did well.

One thing I wish we could have understood a bit more was that requirement for the father to pay 20s a week(?) - was that a typical and serious figure or was it more of a fine (as seems to have been a suggestion? )

So good show and I hope the graphics guy responsible for omitting the first R in Christopher on the tree has stopped hitting their head on the desk by now. We've all done something similar - it's just some mistakes are more obvious than others. ...

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby callbrian » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:16 pm

Hi
I'm wondering whether the Christopher Berry, Colin found is correct?
Although possible, he would have well into his 60s around the time of the younger childrens births.
There is another possible 8th June, 1831, Middleton, Norwich although no age is given.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2014