Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 Returned Soldiers and Sailors

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW1 Returned Soldiers and Sailors

Postby ChristopherHowell92 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:57 pm

Is there a record of service personnel who enlisted or were conscripted during WW1 who returned home after the war please? Any help greatly appreciated.
ChristopherHowell92

Re: WW1 Returned Soldiers and Sailors

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:25 pm

No.

Read the Long, Long Trail site on http://www.1914-1918.net/ for starters.

As you probably realise the Commonwealth War Graves website records all those military personnel who died during the war. (The definition of the time period is somewhat elastic). However as nearly 75% of personnel records for the British Army were destroyed during the Second World War, there is no complete record of who was in the British Army during WW1. So there is no ability to produce a returnees list.

The closest to a full list is the full set of Medal Rolls but the issue there is that the information on the Rolls is so thin that it is impossible to decide whether a person of name X is your person of that name.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ChristopherHowell92 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:08 pm

Many thanks Adrian, you have helped to clear up a little mystery. Some of the villages in my area do have the names of the returnees and I had assumed that these were from some official source. I can at least now put that idea to rest.
Many thanks again and regards
ChristopherHowell92

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:34 pm

Village lists are notorious for causing disagreement about who should and who should not be in them. Even war memorials to the dead were compiled simply by the members of whatever group was erecting it. There was one case I read where someone finally got agreement that a soldier who had been executed should be included on the local memorial. Just as they were congratulating themselves on overcoming the establishment, it was pointed out that far from being ignored because he had been executed, he had been left off because his connection with the village was slim. Further he was in fact already on two other memorials nearby, so the establishment wasn't quite as bad as had been thought.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help