Moderator Control Panel ]

Help identifying Rank & Regiment [WW1]

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Help identifying Rank & Regiment [WW1]

Postby g w aldous » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:55 am

Adrian, I have looked at these photos twice and thought somethings not right but couldn't put my finger on it, they are not only different people but different horses.
g w aldous

Postby DanTaylor77 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:20 pm

g w aldous wrote:Adrian, I have looked at these photos twice and thought somethings not right but couldn't put my finger on it, they are not only different people but different horses.

You really think so? Different horse for sure. I have only what my Uncle tells me to go on to be honest.

Robert Paul was the son of a Grocer/Poultry dealer and was employed (in 1911) as a huntsman. Probably for the Squire of Germansweek, a Mr Tredenham Hugh Spry esq.
DanTaylor77

Postby jeffward » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:02 pm

Yeomanry regiments were issued with a short carbine rifle and I'm pretty sure that what he is holding you can just make out the sling.The fact that he was employed as a huntsman fits; a huntsman would certainly wear buskins. Also while farmers and land owners became officers it was expected that their employee's become troopers. Regards Jeff Ward
jeffward

Postby jeffward » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:29 pm

Thought I'd google Hiam Lang and see what happened.It turns out he was quite well know as a photographer of military training camps in the West Country. July last year a collection of his photos showing Minehead Military Camp 1910 sold well on Ebay. In the photo with the tents there does appear to be a glimpse of the sea between the two tents top left . While I'm not that familiar with the north Somerset coast its quite possible it is Minehead. Jeff Ward.
jeffward

Postby DanTaylor77 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:27 pm

This is another picture of Robert later in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DanTaylor77

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Interesting - the insignia on his cuff are the sort that I associate with the pre WW1 period. They were used at the start of WW1 but the consensus is that they were a bit too obvious to German snipers and they started to get replaced by the insignia on the shoulder that we have today. I believe that the older type were not formally replaced until 1920 so might be seen until then.

So unless the yeomanry regiments wore different rank insignia then we have here a photo taken no later than 1920 of a major or lieutenant colonel - both had 3 rings and differed in the number of pips - which cannot be seen here.

Hm - what was that rank we were talking about at the start?

And another thought to add confusion - unless you have labelled photos or other means of recognising who is in each photo - the guy holding the horse by the tents might well be the officer's batman or groom holding the officer's horse - i.e. the photo is of the horse not the soldier.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby DanTaylor77 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:42 pm

The second photo could well be a different man. It's the heavy moustache I think. The first and third photos where labeled (I saw with own eyes) the second photo was titled Lt. cpl Bob Paul 1914 on the email I received.

This is no rank I recognise.

DanTaylor77

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:56 pm

Exactly - no such rank as Lt Cpl but there is a Lance Corporal (L-Cpl) and there is a Lieutenant Colonel (Lt-Col). And we have a photo of both!

If he is both then that's some going to rise that far.

The only way to resolve this is to get hold of the medals and read the name rank number and unit on them. And even that only gives you a snapshot - you'd need to consult Army Lists if he turns out to be an officer to trace his career.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby DanTaylor77 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:53 pm

How would I go about finding Army lists?

DanTaylor77

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:12 pm

Many of the Army Lists have been loaded into the Internet Archive https://archive.org by the National Library of Scotland under the collection name "nlsarmylists"

Note for anyone who is slightly familiar with the Internet Archive's search facility - you can search on the collection name, but note that the collection name is in lower case - NLSarmylists, for instance, will not find it. (Excuse me while I pronounce the usual curse over people who program computers or write computer languages where upper and lower case are treated differently).

To make it simple, if you use this link https://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3A%28nlsarmylists%29 then you can go straight to the 5 screen of Army Lists. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to get that lot in date order so you'll just have to trundle through looking carefully.

If anyone knows a better way to find them, please shout up!
Adrian
AdrianB38

PreviousNext

Return to Military help