Moderator Control Panel ]

iPad App for magazine gets stuck

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

iPad App for magazine gets stuck

Postby joannelovesbooks » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:14 pm

Does anyone else who reads the magazine on the iPad app ever have a problem where the magazine just gets stuck on a particular page? I've had the problem a few times where on one or more pages everything just freezes and I can't expand the page or make it turn around to landscape. When it's happened before I've got out of it eventually, but I've now been stuck on page 74 of the Essential Guide special issue for about seven hours. I think the only way to get it going again might be to uninstall and reinstall the app, but I've been an online subscriber for over two years now so I think that would mean I'd have to download all 20-odd past issues again.

Is this a common problem?

Thanks
Joanne
joannelovesbooks

Re: iPad App for magazine gets stuck

Postby joannelovesbooks » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:41 pm

By way of an update, I got fed up with waiting for the page to turn and have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. As predicted, I did then have to download all my issues again, but for some reason, nine of the issues I have previously owned have a price under them, suggesting I need to pay for them, unlike all the others which just gave me the option to download. If anyone's had this problem and can suggest how I might retrieve these nine issues, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
Joanne
joannelovesbooks

Postby arb » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:11 am

joannelovesbooks wrote:Does anyone else who reads the magazine on the iPad app ever have a problem where the magazine just gets stuck on a particular page? I've had the problem a few times where on one or more pages everything just freezes and I can't expand the page or make it turn around to landscape. When it's happened before I've got out of it eventually, but I've now been stuck on page 74 of the Essential Guide special issue for about seven hours. I think the only way to get it going again might be to uninstall and reinstall the app, but I've been an online subscriber for over two years now so I think that would mean I'd have to download all 20-odd past issues again.

Is this a common problem?

Thanks
Joanne

I have had the app freeze like this a couple of times on my iPad - it can be very frustrating, but fear not, there is a quick fix. Press the "Home" button on your iPad twice to bring up a list of currently running apps. You can kill the WDYTYA app by swiping the app up off the top of the screen, then restart the app and you should be good to go.

As you've reinstalled the app it will have forgotten which issues you have purchased. To get your issues back, tap the "Support" button at the bottom right of the app and then tap "Restore Purchases". The app may ask for your iTunes password and it will then check what issues you have purchased previously and you can then download the issues you want.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
arb

Postby joannelovesbooks » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi Arb

Thank you for taking the time to offer help.

Unfortunately I had tried closing the app in the way you suggested several times, once even closing the app and all my other apps and turning the iPad off completely, but the magazine was still stuck on the same page when I turned it back on and reloaded the app.

I have also logged on to my subscription and gone into 'restore purchases' and it has given me the option to download most of the issues I had previously but it hasn't given me that option with the specials or with the oldest eight or so issues, so I am still missing about ten of my issues.

Regards
Joanne
joannelovesbooks

Postby arb » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:02 am

joannelovesbooks wrote:Hi Arb

Thank you for taking the time to offer help.

Unfortunately I had tried closing the app in the way you suggested several times, once even closing the app and all my other apps and turning the iPad off completely, but the magazine was still stuck on the same page when I turned it back on and reloaded the app.

I have also logged on to my subscription and gone into 'restore purchases' and it has given me the option to download most of the issues I had previously but it hasn't given me that option with the specials or with the oldest eight or so issues, so I am still missing about ten of my issues.

Regards
Joanne

Oh that does sound like a right mess! :o The only other thing I could think of would be that the issue might have become corrupted somehow. If this happens again and quitting the app doesn't help, you could try removing the issue from your iPad and re-downloading it. To remove a single issue form your iPad, hold your finger on the issue's front page thumbnail and then tap "Archive" when the button appears.

I don't know why "Restore Purchases" hasn't worked for you - that seems like a definite problem with the app.
arb

Postby joannelovesbooks » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks again for your help. I think I'll contact the publishers directly to see if they can help me retrieve my issues. In the meantime, I really appreciate your letting me know how to archive issues as up until now I've been getting confused about which ones I've read and which I haven't, so now I can just archive them to sort them out :D

Joanne
joannelovesbooks

Return to Magazine chat