Moderator Control Panel ]

Help to identify a military uniform please?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Help to identify a military uniform please?

Postby alif2108 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi All. Thanks for your comments. All interesting possibilities. I'm not sure that my Gt Grandfather would have been a musician, we've no real musical talent from that side of the family that I'm aware of (but you never know!) :)
The typing at the bottom of the photograph possibly reads 97 Price Street (can't quite make out the number) This is an address in Birkenhead where there was obviously a photographic studio in the early 1900's. I'm sure I've seen this on other official family photographs over the years i.e. wedding photos etc. I can't find any information on the studio or it's photographers though and long since gone from Price Street.

I also posted the same question and photo on the Great War Forum and it appears the mystery may have been solved.

Andrew Upton has posted that "The tunic is the earliest pattern worn by the Volunteer Training Corps." which was confirmed by a comment from Graham Stewart "Andrew is correct it's one of the earliest patterns of grey/green V.T.C. tunic worn and nice to see. The V.T.C. itself were a type of WWI 'Home Guard' and were found in numerous locations up and down the country. Government recognition for them was slow in coming and it wasn't until 1916 that they received their full support and were then re-titled 'the Volunteer Force'. As far as I'm aware no records of individual members of the V.T.C./Volunteer Force exist, but had he continued to serve with them he would have been given a Certificate of Service, however not many of these survive."

It's certainly had us all puzzled but the Home Guard appears to be the most likely explanation. Many thanks for everyone's help. Very much appreciated :)
alif2108

Re: Help to identify a military uniform please?

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:32 am

Excellent news. And an interesting answer - the Volunteer TC/Force of WW1 is somewhat obscure to me - it seems difficult to find much about it, as all attention was on the Army proper. I certainly don't remember seeing a "normal" uniform before so thank you for that - I'm keeping note of this topic in case something like it comes up again...

Adrian
Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to Military help