Moderator Control Panel ]

Find My Past

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Find My Past

Postby Bath Bun » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:23 pm

I currently have a subscription with Ancestry. I have just received an offer of 50% off a subscription for Find My Past. I have recently seen a lot of adverse comments about the website (and have spotted that the free search facility and results lists have changed) and wondered what any subscription holders now think of the service. I know the websites overlap to some extent but the newspaper archive and Yorkshire records are of interest to me. One of my misgivings is the lack of contact available with the customer services outside of office hours and weekends.
Bath Bun

Re: Find My Past

Postby Sylcec » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:23 pm

It's rather a case of "horses for courses" - I still find FMP cumbersome and slow, though vastly improved on what it was a few months ago. I have subscribed to access records which are NOT available on other sites- so, if they are the only place to hold the records you want, then the answer is simple! :)
Sylcec

Postby coopernicola » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:06 pm

I used to have both Ancestry & FMP annual subs but since retirement went with Ancestry as I got more value for money on the work I was doing. Since the update I agree FMP is now rather fiddly to use, on some days the search box is missing completely?!? I also used the Yorkshire records & newspaper section quite regularly but now I tend to get a short (usually on offer) monthly sub. Once they have your details and realise you don't have an annual sub you'll get these!
I usually keep notes of people/subjects to look up en mass then wait again for a good offer. If you only need West Riding then Ancestry will probably be fine. In that case try a short Newspaper Archive sub, again once you've had one you'll get regular discount offers.
coopernicola

Postby Bath Bun » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks both of you. I have tried using just the search facility and do find it quite difficult (a lot of clutter for not much info). Doesn't seem to be an improvement on how it used to be. Mind you the new filter system on Ancestry isn't that good either. I probably would use the Yorkshire records, though there are a good few on Ancestry. The idea of the occasional monthly sub is a good one. I am presuming that that it's possible to do that in non-consecutive months.
Bath Bun

Postby coopernicola » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:09 pm

Yes you can pick odd months but beware the site will default to automatically renew each month unless you change it. Happy hunting.
coopernicola

Postby Bath Bun » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Thanks for that. Coincidentally today I received an email offering a month for £1 so maybe I'll take the plunge.
Bath Bun

Return to Genealogy chat