Moderator Control Panel ]

uniform identification please

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

uniform identification please

Postby janmogs » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:53 pm

I hope someone can help identify the uniforms from the attached photo of my great uncles. Having crudely enlarged the photo I think the cap badge of the one seated is The King's Shropshire Light Infantry but the uniform itself does not seem typically military in it's style. any suggestions gratefully received.
janmogs

RE: uniform identification please

Postby paulberyl » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:10 am

Hi Janet,

The cap badge does appear to be a light infantry cap badge but I'm afraid I do not recognise the uniform.

Can I suggest that you post a copy of the photograph on the Great War Forum website ([link=http://www.1914-1918.net/Forum_Guidelines.htm]http://www.1914-1918.net/Forum_Guidelines.htm[/link]) as they have some very knowledgeable military members.

Paul
paulberyl

Postby snaphappy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:16 am

The soldier sitting is wearing "Hospital Blues" which would indicate that he was a patient in one of the military hospitals/nursing homes/civilian hospitals having being wounded at the front.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Postby paulberyl » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:13 am

Hi Snaphappy,

Thanks for your information, it demonstrates what information is available from members. Following your answer I was able to find the attached cartoon of "hospital blues".

Paul

[image]local://259/02E22CD3D49D4C1EA9D29BB2AD7290AF.jpg[/image]
paulberyl

Postby janmogs » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:30 pm

Many Thanks to Paul and "SnapHappy" for their help with the uniform identity. It at least confirms that one of my great uncles was injured during WW1. Also the cap badge being of a Light Infantry regiment is a trail I had followed since my original post.
Regards Janmogs.
janmogs

Postby greenman22 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:23 pm

Hi Janmogs,
The man in the Hospital Blues looks like from his regimental badge a member of the Durham Light Infantry. As the the man standing up he is of one of the Scots Regiments as for which one is hard to tell as he is turned away slightly from the camera.

Hope this if some help.

Greenman22
Norfolk - Potter, Turner, Tee, Belson, Lake, Hart, Warman, creek, Crisp, Secret(t)
Cheshire - Whitfield, Cooper, Weedell,
Co. Durham - Robinson, Adamson,
Lancashire - Whitfield, Cooper,
London - Hambelton, Turner,
greenman22

Postby janmogs » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:43 am

Thank you Greenman 22, I am more of the opinion that the Light Infantry badge is The King's Shropshire as my great uncles were born and lived in Aberystwyth. The Infantry badges are all very similar in shape from what I've seen. Someone else has suggested the man standing is of a Scottish regiment which casts doubt now over whether this is one of my great uncles due to my Welsh background. I do understand soldiers did change regiments during the course of the war, and if this is the case with Great Uncle Gomer/Emrys then it will make an interesting if complicated trail. I know the man in "Hospital Blues" is related as he bears too striking a resemblance to other family members not to be!! Both my g. uncles were reputed to have died a few years after the end of WW1 from the effects of gas in battle so I am unsure which is in the hospital uniform.
thanks again, Janmogs.
janmogs

Postby janmogs » Sun May 04, 2008 11:00 pm

[quote]Can I suggest that you post a copy of the photograph on the Great War Forum website (http://www.1914-1918.net/Forum_Guidelines.htm) as they have some very knowledgeable military members.

Paul

I took your advice and all I can say is, What a forum!! But I only got there thanks to my original post on here.
It turns out I was correct and Emrys (in the hospital blues) was in The Kings Shropshire Light Infantry and then the service corps. As a result I now have copies of his medal cards, the MIC itself from TNA and his Silver War Badge card from Ancestry-his MIC is not on there! Greenman 22 sugested the soldier standing was of a Scottish regiment and the experts on the Great War Forum confirmed this as the uniform of the Seaforth Highlanders. I have since found another photo of this man in the same uniform and now believe again this is my Great Uncle Gomer. There is only one Gomer Lewis Thomas on the MIC index for the Labour Corps and no record on it for his sevice with the Seaforths so more digging is needed to prove he was with them.
Their death certificates state cause of death for both as being pulmonary tuberculosis and from a little more research, this appears to be a common consequence to mustard gas exposure. The search continues as there is stilll their war service to look into if the records have survived.
Many thanks for al the suggestions and directions for further help- I could not have done it without you!!
janmogs.
janmogs

Return to Photo identification