Moderator Control Panel ]

Tamzin Outhwaite's episode

Discuss the brand new series of Who Do You Think You Are? featuring the likes of Julie Walters, Brian Blessed and Billy Connolly

Tamzin Outhwaite's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:18 am

Hello folks,

It's that time of the week again! At 9pm on BBC One we will be treated to Tamzin Outhwaite's episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, in which she investigates her Italian heritage.

If you want to join the conversation while the episode is on, my colleague Steve will be live-tweeting over at http://www.twitter.com/wdytyamagazine. Otherwise, please post your thoughts in the thread below!

All the best,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Tamzin Outhwaite's episode

Postby ColinB » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:59 pm

Well I now know quite enough about the rise of Italian ice cream in Britain but I'm afraid this episode doesn't even come close to what I hope for from WDYTYA. What a waste of a program ! As for the ' horrific' experiences in the ' Concentration Camps' of the Isle of Man I think those who suffered and died in the Camps in Europe might have had a different view !

Colin
ColinB

Postby junkers » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:18 pm

I thought it was quite a good episode although I would disagree that it seemed wrong to intern Italians, there would have been an outcry if they didn't at the time. I thought it slightly odd that the programme makers didn't try to get Peter's British Nationality file released at The National Archives, it is still closed, as it should have details on the family, including their family history and political allegiances, which might have filled in some gaps. You can make the case that the POWs on the Isle of Man were not in the same situation from a safety point of view, although the camps held a mixture of those with different and extreme political allegiances, whilst British people were being bombed at the same time.
junkers

Postby JaneyH » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:28 pm

I don't think that the context of internment was properly explained. We were given to believe that it was a heavy-handed over-reaction, whereas the reality was that it was an inevitable feature of war.

It didn't help that the elderly relative used the phrase "concentration camp" which - in WW2 parlance at least - tends to be associated with the Nazi extermination of the Jews. I don't doubt that internment was harsh and unpleasant, but it wasn't the same as being in a concentration camp.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby phsvm » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:36 am

I agree totally with the views about 'concentration camps'. It made me quite angry in fact.

I don't know if it's just me or are other people finding this series a bit, for want of a better word, "Shallow"? I can't put my finger on it and I've enjoyed all the epiodes but they some how seem to lack the depth and detail of some earlier episodes.

To me Julie Walters has been the best so far. It gave an insight as to why the IRA gained so much support but the others seem, somehow to have failed to have made any lasting impressions. Interesting and undoubtedly the subjects found them fascinating but somehow I don't thinkk they'll be episodes that stick in my mind like others have with their pointency, detail and factual content.
phsvm

Postby rufybear » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:27 pm

Surely the BBC must realise by now that most viewers have remote controls and are able to pause the programme, especially when it comes to looking at details on birth certificates, census records, etc (and often picking up clues half an hour before they are 'discovered' in the programme!)

So Remo Santi's father was recorded as Adelmo Santi on his birth certificate, but no mention of the fact that his mother was Maria Santi, formerly Gannella (Gonnella?) - no doubt missed by anyone without a pause button!

Tamzin's great grandparents on her grandmother's side were also Gonnellas. Was this an incidence of cousin's marrying - Remo Santi & Lina Gonnella? No mention of where Antonio & Antoniette Gonella originated from (Barga area??) BBC obviously decided to avoid the issue because they hadn't yet done a WDYTYA programme on WW2 internment, otherwise the programme would have ended after 10 minutes!
rufybear

Postby anne ena santi » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:42 pm

I've learnt so much about my family background watching this my nana was anne ena santi so it makes me related my nan had ice cream shop in witton park county durham as well I've always wanted to know about my Italian background now I have all the answers I needed where they from where they lived and all my relations I'm gonna make trip to fishburn to have look at my background thanx tamsin and we related xx :D
anne ena santi

Why the Focus on Just One Ancestor?

Postby sykeel » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:30 am

I'm afraid this episode is typical of the direction the show is sadly starting to take. Instead of being about 'Who Do Think You Are' it has become 'Who Do You Think This One Ancestor Was'. It really tells us very little about the roots of the celebrity involved. Instead, it traces the life story of just one ancestor. That's bad enough. But at least the producers could try to present some additional context about the other ancestors. After all, old Arthur Santi was just one of Tamzin's 8 great grand parents. You get no idea of who she really is via her wider family, just a dreary visit to Douglas, Fishburn and a brief glimpse of Barga. After Brian Blessed's egotistical adventure last week, again just focused on one ancestor, and the preoccupation with male ancestors as though female lines are of no significance, I'm starting to fear this series may have run its course. Such a bitter, bitter disappointment.
sykeel

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:35 pm

I'm afraid I cannot agree with the idea that the measure of an episode's success is that it covers all ancestors up to some specific generation. The essence of an episode's success (or not) is that it's good television, not that it covers a minimum percentage of ancestors, or that the events are more than X years in the past, or that it instructs us in all techniques used, etc... Any such program would be deeply disappointing to the general public.

It's the social history angle that is so often the key to the success of a story, not the genealogy, and I think Tamzin's episode had a good story there with wide applicability - there can be few towns in the country where people of Italian or German ancestry didn't have a shop in one or the other of the World Wars, with a resulting story of fear and prejudice.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MarySue » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:43 pm

I do agree that the terminology used for internment was a little heavy handed but sadly this is how it was viewed by those left behind. It is interesting to see the journey not so distant relatives made to be in different and often unexpected areas of the country and overseas. My own grandmother is one example I knew very little about until I began tracing her journey from County Durham down south. She was born in 1911 in Tudhoe (remember Kim Cattral's episode) and ended up in London. I've traced her movements but some questions such as why at times remain to be answered but answers are coming slowly. The history of the how and why concerning one person in an episode is just as important as the episode that gives us a number of people to journey with.

However, we found this espisode interesting as we have a number of other connections in County Durham with Fishburn being amongst the small towns our various relatives resided in. A cousin didn't see the programme and having related some of the detail to him this is his reply:-

I moved to Fishburn in 1947 at the age of six and soon got to know old Mr. Santi and his very tasty product. I was not aware of their family tragedy but I knew son Peter who drove for Wilkinsons a Sedgefield bus company, daughter Eva who helped in the shop while dad was out selling ice cream in the van - a 1932 Austin seven regn.PH 4004. He later bought a small Ford (AHN 184). Once when having problems with PH 4004 he left the bonnet up while he popped into the house for a tool he wanted. Youngest son George thought he would help and disconnected all of the wires. Dad returned a minute or so later, viewed the puzzle in front of him ( he wasn't sure which wire went where) and shouted "Georgie you no elecktrikian" as he delivered a very firm clip to Georges ear.
PH 4004 had a top speed of about 35mph down bank with a tail wind but most people only ever saw it doing less than 5mph as it went round the streets earning its keep. When returning to Fishburn from a sales trip to Sedgefield one day the considerate Mr. Santi stopped at the bottom of the bank leading into Fishburn to offer a villager a lift. The man replied " That's kind of you Mr. Santi but no thanks - I'm in a hurry".
The bit about the ice cream parlour (summer) and fish & chips (winter) isn't accurate. Both premises were side by side but the fish shop had a different proprietor. The playground story is true it was the southern end of a small field which Mr Santi owned and he donated this around 1949. about a decade later he donated the rest of the field to the village to be used to build a Workingmens Club and associated car park. Both still exist but the Club (I'm a member) has problems. Santis Ice Cream Parlour is now a private house and the adjacent fish shop doubles as a take away Chinese outlet. It has an excellent local reputation.

So you see, the person who's episode it might be isn't the one who is being traced; their details are already public knowledge for the most part. We are seeing others connected to them who have made a mark of some description, good or bad, and that is what history, near or far, is all about.
MarySue

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2014