Moderator Control Panel ]

Help me discover if this is my Great Grandfather

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Help me discover if this is my Great Grandfather

Postby CalMcK » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:49 am

Hello,

I was clearing my Great Aunt and late Great Uncle's house and I came across a treasured photograph of a WW1 soldier. On the back it says it came from R Turnbull at 5 Union Street Glasgow. Some googling shows that R Turnbull closed his Glasgow studio in 1914.

My grandad and great uncle's father left when they were boys and so we never knew what my great grandfather looked like. My great grandfather was born in 1883 in Islington but his parents and siblings were born in Glasgow whereas my great aunt's family were Londoners. I have a Scottish surname and we were told that he joined the Gordon Highlanders and my grandad's name was Gordon (but based on his track record I would take that with caution). My great uncle's middle name was Cameron.

Can anyone help identify the regiment?
Attachments
Soldier.jpg
soldier
Soldier.jpg (33.69 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
CalMcK

Re: Help me discover if this is my Great Grandfather

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:59 am

Bandolier and what look like they might be spurs on his boots (maybe) suggest mounted soldier. Cap badge suggests Royal Artillery - so Royal Horse Artillery or Royal Field Artillery. Or I could be quite wrong. ...

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Photo identification