Moderator Control Panel ]

Brothers in the Military

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Brothers in the Military

Postby Trillian » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:51 pm

I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to military stuff (although I'm learning quickly with all of the WW1 stuff around at the moment). Anyway, I have a query that someone will hopefully be able to help with:

Would brothers who joined the forces be routinely sent to the same barracks? I seem to have found three of my 3x great-grand-uncles, all at York Cavalry Barracks in the 1871 Census. If it weren't for two of them having fairly unusual names (Moses and Amos, the third being Joseph) I may have thought it was just three men with the same surname (Burrows). The year of births match and although they all have different places of birth I know the area well enough to remove that as an issue, so I am more than confident that they are brothers. Mostly I was just wondering if it was intentional or coincidence that they ended up together, some 80 plus miles from home.
Trillian

Re: Brothers in the Military

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:44 am

In that era people volunteered so they could all 3 have volunteered to join the same regiment - they got the choice of regiment then.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ksouthall » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:16 am

They may have joined a Pals Battalion together. The pals battalions were specially constituted during World War I. They comprised men who had enlisted together in local recruiting drives, with the promise that they would be able to serve alongside their friends, neighbours and work colleagues, rather than being arbitrarily allocated to battalions.
ksouthall

Postby Trillian » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks for the replies. I thought that would be the case. Now to see if I can find out what they were up to while they were there.
Trillian

Return to Military help