Moderator Control Panel ]

Maltese ancestors

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Maltese ancestors

Postby karooch » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:33 am

Greetings all. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with researching family history in Malta. I live in Australia (and neither speak nor read Maltese) so I will have to engage a researcher in Malta. But I feel a distinct lack of control.

If anyone has any experience with a Maltese researcher that they can recommend I would be very grateful. I contacted one researcher who had a fixed price for each marriage found. And they just supply a pedigree chart with marriage names and dates. No corroborating evidence. I have never engaged a professional researcher before. Am I asking too much to expect more than this?

Cheers
karooch
Last edited by karooch on Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
karooch

Re: Maltese ancestors

Postby ColinB » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:26 am

I don't have any experience of this but have you looked at the information on familysearch and tried some of the links there ?

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Malta
ColinB

Postby karooch » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:02 pm

Thanks Colin
I will try that

Cheers
karooch
karooch

Postby Allison Smith » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:55 am

Who do you think you are? Australia had an episode about someone who had Maltese ancestry, think it was Shaun Micalef, maybe watching that episode may give you a couple of hints in researching in Malta.
Allison Smith

Postby Sylcec » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:19 am

This has to be one of the most difficult areas of genealogy research to make progress in my experience. However, this page actually provides some potentially helpful links: http://barbsnow.net/Malta.htm including a link to the Registrar's office to enable you to order your own certificates. However, from memory there are no publicly available indexes, so you have to have a fair bit of specific knowledge to be able to order a certificate. Suggest that you read and familiarise yourself with the content of Barb's web site first.
Good luck! Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby karooch » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:44 am

Thanks everyone. I will follow up all your leads and see if I can break through with one of them. I watched the Adam Hills episode of WDYTYA Australia again last night and that also has a trip to Malta. But not really and help with research ideas. You've all been great.

Cheers
Karen
karooch

Postby michael77 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:51 am

What I say won't ne of that much help to you but don't be surprised if most of the stuff you require or find is actually written in English as it is the official language.

English is their defacto language of choice for official matters, although all Maltese speak Maltese (obviously) , not all of them can write in Maltese.

I know this from experience - my sister has lived there for over 20 years , married to a Maltese and running a business. He is fluent in both languages but can only write in English (and he isn't illiterate by any means)

I worked for the Bank Of Spain in my youth as a translator in the ECB and when I chatted with Maltese colleagues there, they always howled in protest that the ECB in Frankfurt had translated all their official ECB documents into Maltese for them as about 30 % of them couldn't read them and always used English.

The only other problem you may have is that about 60 % of the island (so it seems to me) is either called Borg or Micallef although apparently the official figure is that 76 % of the entire island share the same 100 surnames.

Good Luck !!!
michael77

Postby meekhcs » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:00 pm

There is a Malta FHS www.maltafamilyhistory.com Perhaps a post on Rootschat may turn up someone who can help, and there appears to be a Malta board among the ancestry chat boards. Googling Malta Family History also brings up the site Sylvia mentioned plus one or two other sites that may offer you something.
Sally
meekhcs

Postby karooch » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:28 am

Thanks Michael and Sally. Will follow up on your suggestions. I'm trying to get back beyond civil registration so all records would be held by parish churches I assume. I managed to get my great grandparents marriage certificate from the civil registration office and thought I had blasted through my brick wall. But sadly no. And the fact that my great grandfather's name is Borg doesn't help of course. So I keep throwing out requests for suggestions in case I hear something I haven't tried before.

Still, this makes my Irish research feel like a walk in the park.

Cheers
Karen
karooch

Postby spiritwind » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:29 pm

Evening
I have been researching my G.Grandfather William Gowin and G. Mother Anna Busutill. She Maltese, he English. They married in Valletta Malta in 1879.
Got my marriage docs from the Maltese ancestry site. Cheap and fairly fast.
All written in Italian which was written and spoken at that time.
Easily translated at mymemory.translated.net

Good luck

Spiritwind

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
spiritwind

Next

Return to General research queries