Moderator Control Panel ]

Black & Tans, Ireland 1919-22

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Black & Tans, Ireland 1919-22

Postby JaneyH » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:35 pm

My Dad has just told me that my Great Uncle by marriage joined the 'Black & Tans' in Ireland after serving in the First World War.

Hervey Bamforth served in the Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment during the Great War. I have his Medal Index Card (from Ancestry) which shows he was originally a Private, then a Corporal, then commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in November 1917. He received all three campaign medals: 1915 Star, British War and Victory Medals. His service number on the MIC is shown as 7/1306. Hervey married my great aunt, Dorothy Dyson, on 18 April 1918 (before the war ended) in Lichfield, Staffordshire. On the marriage certificate his address was given as Rugeley Camp, Staffordshire. Given that they were both from Huddersfield in Yorkshire I assume he couldn't get enough leave to return to his home town for a 'proper' family wedding.

I have a reasonable knowledge of the history of Ireland from the 1916 uprising through to independence in 1922 and the role of the 'Black & Tans', and appreciate that this is a sensitive topic. Nevertheless, I'm curious to uncover what I can about the role my Great Uncle may have played. Can anyone point me to sources that may enable me to find out more about the Black & Tans and the events in Ireland 1919-22?

Janey
JaneyH

Re: Black & Tans, Ireland 1919-22

Postby brunes08 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:58 am

There are plenty of sites related to the Black and Tans on the internet. You may find help there as some are quite comprehensive.
brunes08

Postby peter kent » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:53 pm

If he was an officer he may have been in the Auxiliary Division of the RIC and not strictly in the Black and Tans.

The best way to start researching is to read the National Archives research guide which also has some useful background http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/royal-irish-constabulary.htm

The book mentioned The Royal Irish Constabulary: A Complete Alphabetical List of Officers and Men, 1816-1922 is certainly in the National Archives library and you may be able to get hold of it through other means (eg inter-library loans)
peter kent

Postby JaneyH » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Many thanks, Peter. This is a bit of a diversion in my family history research - Hervey was only a great-uncle by marriage. But then I'm always swayed by looking in detail at the "interesting characters" rather than simply going back as far as I can on a particular branch of the family! I'll certainly follow up your leads.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby ksouthall » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:24 am

I know the feeling Janeyh. Often the most interesting characters I have found are the great-uncles and aunts etc., especially those who haven't had families. This may be because people often tend to settle in one place once they have a family and take less risks. However there will always be exceptions to this, such as those who do their adventuring before they have a family, or families that move together for reasons such as economics and work or persecution, or there are the more shady characters who end up in prison or leave one family and set up another. The range of characters in each family is what makes family history so interesting for me.
ksouthall

Return to Military help