Moderator Control Panel ]

William Newton & 19th Hussars

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

William Newton & 19th Hussars

Postby gkmagog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:47 pm

My great grandfather is William Newton and I have just found out that he served in the 19th Hussars in the 1870s/1880s, his regimental number was 1496 and he held the rank of Sergeant Farrier.

I have discovered from the medal rolls that he served in the Egypt campaign of 1882 and the Sudan campaign of 1884-1886, earning the relevant medals and several clasps for particular battles.

So far I have been unable to find any record of his birth in the offical online indices and was wondering if his service record would hold such information. I would also like to find out more about his military service in general and perhaps obtain a copy of his record as well as any regimental records about the two campaigns.

Where would I go looking for such information?
gkmagog

Re: William Newton & 19th Hussars

Postby ksouthall » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:23 pm

Is it possible your ancestor was the son of a serving soldier? If so, he could have been born abroad so would not appear in the GRO birth indexes, however he could appear in the British Nationals Armed Forces Births 1761-2005 indexes on FindMyPast.
ksouthall

Postby junkers » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:39 pm

His file should be available at The National Archives, Kew, and online at findmypast and should have his stated place of birth.
junkers

Postby gkmagog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:02 pm

Many thanks for the ideas ksouthall & junkers.

I have now searched findmypast on the British Army Service Records 1760-1915 with no trace. Likewise on the British Nationals Armed Forces Births 1761-2005.

He next appears on his sons birth certificate in 1886 running a pub in Bishops Stortford; then on the census return in 1891 he turns up running a pub in Hertford, showing his place of birth as Thorney Buckinghamshire; In 1901 he is in Croydon as a Farrier, giving his place of birth as Iver, Buckinghamshire; In 1911 he is still in Croydon as a Farrier, with his place of birth back to Thorney. According to these records he was born in either 1857 or 1858.

His January 1920 death certificate shows his age as 66 years which makes his year of birth 1853/1854.

Assuming the census ages are the most accurate, any ideas as to what age/year he would have been able to join the Hussars?

I have been going round in this same circle for a few years now and its driving me up the wall! I was hoping the new information about his military service may produce more positive results.

Are the national archives searchable on line or do I have to visit in person?
Would the archive also hold any war diaries/records relating to the regiment at that time?
Can you think of any other avenues I might explore?
gkmagog

Postby junkers » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:05 am

War Diaries only started in 1914 but there are Pay lists/muster rolls at The National Archives (TNA), they are not online but can be seen at TNA with a Reader's Ticket and they will list where the soldiers were or if anything happened to them, like going on leave. William Newton may not have been in the Hussars long enough for a pension and therefore no pension records would exist. There should be an official history for the 19th Hussars, TNA might have a copy but if not try an Internet search.

TNA have a number of leaflets and experts on military service/records and they have an online chat in the afternoon from Tuesdays to Fridays, see their website, which may be of use to you.
junkers

Postby gkmagog » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:25 am

Many thanks
gkmagog

Postby Sylcec » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:26 am

If it's of any help, Thorney is a village in the parish of Iver, so you need to look for his birth or baptism in Iver parish registers. Registration district should be Eton. However, he doesn't show up using FreeBMD. Consider though that as Iver has a Middlesex boundary, that William's birth may have been registered in that county, in either Uxbridge or Staines. However - I don't find him there either!
The closest I can come is John William Newton, reg June qtr 1852, Wycombe. There were lots of Newtons registered in Wycombe in the 1850s- but this is a bit to the west of Iver.

Do you know William's father's name? Should be on his marriage certificate.
Other possibility is that if, say, he was illegitimate, he may not have been registered as a Newton, but took the name of the man his mother married subsequent to Wm's birth. All speculative of course! I was hoping to find William on the 1861 census, but no joy so far.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby gkmagog » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:46 pm

Sylvia thanks for your reply, in answer to the points you raise ...

I have a copy of the register for his 1st marriage in 1878 & the certificate for his second marriage in 1917. On both records he shows his father's name as John Newton. In 1878 John was a carter and in 1917 he was deceased.

Williams full name is William James Newton. It is his first marriage in Ireland that shows his rank & regiment. Unfortunately that marrige just shows his age as 'Full'.

I too have tried the 1861 census with no luck. I have also tried the birth registers, searching from 1853 - 1863 again no trace of him. I even tried searching for an un-named male with the surname of Newton. I am beginning to think he slipped through the net and his birth wasn't registered! Hence the enquiry regarding regimental records
gkmagog

Return to Military help