Moderator Control Panel ]

Julie Walters' episode

Discuss the brand new series of Who Do You Think You Are? featuring the likes of Julie Walters, Brian Blessed and Billy Connolly

Julie Walters' episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Hello everyone,

Hopefully most of you will have just watched Julie Walters' episode! It was a cracking start to the series (not that I'm biased!) and provided a fascinating insight into an area of Irish social history we don't really get to see on TV over in Blighty.

Anyway, that's what I thought – but what's your opinion? Did you love it? Hate it? Let us know by posting below!

Best,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Julie Walters' episode

Postby junkers » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:47 pm

I thought that this was a very good episode. I would say there also records on the Land League in Ireland at The National Archives, Kew, under the CO (Colonial Office) series which lists those arrested. The one thing I didn't like was the original document that Julie received in an envelope, it is not the first time this has happened on the series and documents should of course not be removed from archives!, unless there was special permission.
junkers

Postby leslam » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:57 am

Oh, was it an original? That IS a bad example to set! I has assumed that it was a scan, printed on a colour laser printer... What is the point of having technology available and not using it??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
leslam

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:26 am

It was a colour scan in the envelope!

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby michael77 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:06 pm

I thought the episode was excellent, she is always worth listening to whether she is being funny or serious !
I'm a bit confused by the blurb put up to advertise the show both online and in the emails sent out to flog genealogist.co.uk membership :-

the first celebrity discovers a very dramatic Irish ancestry and a story of a tragic loss in the First World War...

Considering the first world war is not even mentioned in the episode and no member of her ancestral family took part in it, what exactly are they talking about ?

If they are alluding to the death of Anthony Clarke, Julie's Great Grandfather, who died without ever owning his land - that happened on 31st October 1918 in Ireland so has absolutely no connection with the first world war whatsoever other than it happened a few weeks before the war (being conducted hundreds of miles away in France) , ended.

Of course the First World War is flavour of the month at the moment, and quite rightly too but let's concentrate on the actual facts please instead of peppering your adverts with misleading & false statements designed to create interest in the show !!!
michael77

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:26 pm

Highly likely the final edit lost a whole section - if I remember correctly the snippets on this site for Patrick Stewart and Annie Lennox showed whole branches that were filmed but never made it to the final cut. Presumably the blurb writers get a preliminary synopsis to work with.

Mind you, putting my other geek hat on, there's at least one Dr Who episode that has always been blurbed exactly opposite to how I saw it, even years after original transmission, so you could be right about their competence.

Adrian

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jon Bauckham » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:45 pm

michael77 wrote:I thought the episode was excellent, she is always worth listening to whether she is being funny or serious !
I'm a bit confused by the blurb put up to advertise the show both online and in the emails sent out to flog genealogist.co.uk membership :-

the first celebrity discovers a very dramatic Irish ancestry and a story of a tragic loss in the First World War...

Considering the first world war is not even mentioned in the episode and no member of her ancestral family took part in it, what exactly are they talking about ?

If they are alluding to the death of Anthony Clarke, Julie's Great Grandfather, who died without ever owning his land - that happened on 31st October 1918 in Ireland so has absolutely no connection with the first world war whatsoever other than it happened a few weeks before the war (being conducted hundreds of miles away in France) , ended.

Of course the First World War is flavour of the month at the moment, and quite rightly too but let's concentrate on the actual facts please instead of peppering your adverts with misleading & false statements designed to create interest in the show !!!

Hi Michael,

From what I gather, that was on a marketing email put out by TheGenealogist – I'm not sure whether the makers of the TV show (or my colleagues on the magazine) had anything to with it.

It would as appear as though they've taken it upon themselves to carry out their own investigation and look at other branches of Julie's family using records on their site. It's not a story that was dropped from the episode at the last minute.

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby michael77 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks Jon, that explains it then, nothing to do with the BBC or program makers (my apologies) just half baked comments from the genealogist who probably didn't bother to view the show in detail before they put their marketing blurb out.

No doubt they heard there was to be mention of a death on the program which coincided with the very last weeks of the first world war and they made their own wrong assumptions.

I'm sure if her family on the paternal side had any connection with the tragedies of the first world war, it would have been mentioned given the timing of the first program.
michael77

Postby junkers » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:22 pm

I now know that to WDYTYA and the article with researcher that there were two Land Leagues and TNA have the first, so nothing to do with the programme, I had wondered about the link to Charles Parnell. It is amazing what you learn.
junkers

Postby Barbara Winterton » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:05 pm

I was thrilled to see Julie's visit to the eviction cottage. The lane she was walking up to approach the cottage actually led from our former house where we spent 5 very happy years. When we bought our house in 1995 there was very little left of that cottage - just the end gables and a little of the rest of the walls. Whilst we lived there it was renovated and finally opened as a tourist attraction. We helped to raise money for the work and for the opening we also took part in a re-enactment of the eviction. My husband played the part of the photographer high on the hill to the left of the cottage. Me? Well as one of the few English women in the village I was cast as the evil landowner, Miss Gardiner, who ordered and came to watch the eviction :( It was a moving occasion for all concerned and I am proud to have been part of it - despite being the villain. It was the last eviction to take place in County Mayo and more can be read about it here: http://www.museumsofmayo.com/belcarra.htm
Barbara Winterton

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2014