Moderator Control Panel ]

Nicola Morris (Irish ancestors)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Nicola Morris (Irish ancestors)

Postby Jon Bauckham » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:08 pm

I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Nicola Morris

Postby callbrian » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi Nicola,
welcome to the live Web chat.
I have been trying to find my 3x grandfather. According to his service records he was born c1842-44 in "Tulloch Moor" Galway? Which I have been unable to find in Ireland. I have had no luck in trying to find his birth or parents. His marriage to Sarah Johnston is also a mystery and was subject to a previous webchat.
He is in the English 1881, 1891 census b Ireland and I have his death certificate 1896 Army pensioner.
He has been transcribed as Michael Tynan, Tynen,Tynon, Tynham.
Any help very much appreciated.
Regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby teresa78 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am

Hi Nicola,
I'm trying to find out if a record I found on a Thomas Jones is the same Thomas Jones i'm related to (my great great grandfather from Castleisland, Co. Kerry).
The record is a Tralee prison record from 1860, he was suspected of being a deserter from the 11th regiment. Please see image attached (line item 173). The record has '... ... ..' for some of the fields, what does this mean, does it mean the same as the field above that field? Are there Castleisland or Tralee Court records I could check from this time?
Thanks,
teresa78
Attachments
ThomasJones1860.JPG
ThomasJones1860.JPG (62.58 KiB) Viewed 9117 times
teresa78

Postby whitm086 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi Nicola
I have tried to find information on my great greatfather Patrick Quinn and his family .they lived in Dunshaughlin co. Meath. Patrick died following an accident in 1874. I have tried to get the coroners report but to no avail.I would love to know where he is buried and would love his birth cert.His wife was Mary McCluskey and they had 3 children Julia,John and Lucy .Any information would be much appreciated .Thank you
Martina White
whitm086

Postby Helen Stanley » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:07 am

Thank you very much for your offer of help with Irish research. I'm quite experienced, but I'm struggling with this branch of my mothers' family!
The family name is McCoy and I believe that my branch left Mayo in the 1830s and were living in Broseley in Shropshire by 1841. My 3x great grandfather was James, born Mayo, 1806 and his wife Catherine, born 1815ish, Mayo, and a son called John, born in Mayo 1832 details from the Broseley census only. More of James' siblings joined them.
I'm aware that Mayo and Sligo records overlap, but from the forename usage (mostly Bridget) and the flimsy details on the following census, I have come to the shaky conclusion that they are from Ballindoo/Doocastle, in Kilturra Parish, Mayo.
Griffiths valuation gives a Margaret McCoy, landlord Joseph M McDonnell, holding the house and just over an acre of land in Doocastle from John B Lindsey of Turin Castle in the barony of Kilmaine.
I do try really hard to be accurate and I'm concerned that I've made this fit because I want it to be true, but also we're dreaming of going to Mayo for our anniversary next year if we can get the money together and would like to go to the right place! If you could help or suggest some more lines of research I would be very grateful. I do have a lot of forward research if that helps.
Thanks again
Helen Stanley
Helen Stanley

Postby Maggie Boyd » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:44 am

Hi Nicola,
I'm trying to fill in the gaps for my husband's x2 great grandfather, Essex Kerr who was born in Kiltycooly, Drumcliff, Sligo on 1/7/1856 then appears in the 1881 Scotland Census as a Byreman in North Bute (known as Isaac Kerr from then on). His father was James Kerr, who is in Griffiths Valuation as renting a 48 acre farm from John Wynne(1801-1865). The Kerr family (including his mother, Eliza Williams) were all Presyterian.
My husband's grandfather (Essex Kerr's grandson, who has since died) told us he came over from Ireland because of 'the troubles'. I would like to know if there is any way of finding out if 'the troubles' were eviction or famine, whether any records would have been kept and whether being Presbyterian would have been significant?
I thought last night's programme was excellent and it certainly got me curious again, thanks!
Maggie
Maggie Boyd

Postby Jen70mar » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:08 am

Hi Nicola,
I have hit a brick wall regarding my great great grandfather john Paley. Anything I've found on him (which is not much) states he was born in Ireland, yet I cannot find anything on his birth or immigration to the US. He was born around 1830. He married Jane Carlisle and his children's names were Elizabeth, James, William, David, and Louis. All the children were born in either NY or CT. I would love to take this line back further by finding out his parents names, siblings, and place of birth. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Jennifer
Jen70mar

Postby Irishstar » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:22 am

Hi Nicola,
My 4th great grandfather Thomas McManus was born about 1794, in Ireland, as shown in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census records. He lived and worked at the Royal Hospital Chelsea. His wife was born in Wiltshire so possibly they married in England. Their first son was born in 1823 in Chelsea. Is there a way I can find out where in Ireland Thomas originated from? Are there any records which might show when and where he travelled from in Ireland to England ?
Many thanks, Carole
Irishstar

Postby Felicity » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:42 am

Hello Nicola,

I need some help with my 2x gt grandfather. He was James Whyte and his wife was Margaret Hardiman. James Whyte was a sergeant in the Galway Militia. In 1857 they had a daughter (my ancestor) Catherine Whyte who was born in Peshawar India. I would like to find out more about James; where was he from and why did he join the Galway Militia, where did he marry? Was Margaret Hardiman from Galway? I have always assumed both were Irish.
I have tried to find him at Kew archives but found this experience confusing and came away with nothing. I have traced Catherine's line forward successfully but her parents have eluded me. Can you help please.
Thanks, Felicity
Felicity

Postby mpcrumbly » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:54 am

Dear Nicola,
I would like some help with where to go next in looking for my ancestors in Cork. I have found my Gt Grandmother Ellen Wall (born 1833) and her parents through looking at the Irish Pension applications. Her younger sister Margaret made the application and I have her family from what seems like a compilation of the information on the 1841 and 1851 censuses. Her parents are shown as William Wall (a butcher) and his wife Johanna Foley. At that time they were resident in Mountmusic, Kilmichael, Muskerry West, Cork, Ireland. From marriage records for Ellen (who married an English soldier), her father was dead by 1871. I would like to trace her parents and also her siblings (there were 4 living by 1851) and would value some pointers as to where to start looking. They were catholic although Ellen married her second (soldier) husband in the established church in Ireland.
Thank you
Margaret
mpcrumbly

Next

Return to Live web chats