Moderator Control Panel ]

Nicola Morris (Irish ancestors)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Re: Nicola Morris

Postby Felicity » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:31 pm

Many thanks Nicola for these suggestions. I will follow them up.
I haven’t found James in the 1901 Irish census but I will try the English census returns. Can I ask … Is there a regimental museum for the Galway Militia in Ireland? Also, Do you know when the parish records for Co. Galway will be available on line, like those of Dublin? I found this a good resource for my Dublin relatives.
Felicity
Felicity

Postby Nicola Morris MAPGI » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:31 pm

Gill C wrote:Hi Nicola,
My GGGrandfather, Michael Foy, born @ 1797, was from Ireland but I have had no success locating where in Ireland he came from. The two census he appears in just state "Irish". He arrived in England @ 1825 because my GGrandfather, was born in Lambeth 1827. A stumbling block is the various ways the surname FOY is spelt : Foy, Fouhey, Fahey, Fohey. I haven't been able to find any other connected Foy families. Have you any advice on narrowing the search please ?
Many thanks, Gill

Hi Gill

Thanks for your enquiry. Unfortunately, you are faced with a very difficult problem, and you are not alone. Without the names of Michael’s parents or his place of birth in Ireland, identifying his origins will be difficult, if not impossible. Not many church records survive from the 1790s, which means that even if you are able to establish where Michael was born, locating his baptismal record may not be possible.

In cases like this, I would recommend using Griffith’s Valuation, a land survey taken in the 1850s and the Tithe Applotment Books, a similar but less comprehensive survey taken in the 1820s, to establish all of the counties and parishes where the surname Foy appears in Ireland. This will be the starting point for your search.

It may then be a matter of methodically checking the records for each parish, where records survive, for evidence of a child named Michael Foy being baptised. However, it may be impossible to know with any certainty whether you have found the correct Michael Foy.

I am sorry that I cannot be more help.

Nicola Morris MAPGI
www.timeline.ie
Nicola Morris MAPGI

Postby Nicola Morris MAPGI » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:37 pm

IanL wrote:G'day Nicola.
My GGG Grandmother was born in Tipperary in approximately 1825.
He Father's surname was Egan.
My G Grandfather was born June 1865 in Drumshanbo.

Please advise the best places to obtain copies of their
Respective Birth Certificates.
I live in Australia.
Thank You
IanL

Hi Ian

Civil registration in Ireland only commenced in 1864 and in the early years of civil registration an estimated 15% of births and marriages went unregistered. This means that you may be able to find a birth certificate for your Great Grandfather, if he was born in Drumshanbo in 1865, but it is also possible that his birth was not registered.

You can start by searching the civil birth index, which is freely available online at www.familysearch.org The civil birth index will give you the reference information for the actual birth registration. You will need to order this from the General Registry Office and we also have a certificate ordering service on our website: http://timeline.ie/irish-genealogy/iris ... e-records/

The 1825 birth will only be recorded in the church baptismal registers. Before you can search for a baptismal record for your ancestor, you need to try and establish the parish in which she was born. You could try searching for evidence of her father in Griffith’s Valuation and the Tithe Applotment Books to establish the family address.

It is important to note that civil parishes, used in land records, are different from Roman Catholic parishes, and it is necessary to convert from one to the other. You can find maps and listings for civil and Catholic parishes at www.irishtimes.com/ancestor which is a really helpful website.

I hope this helps.

Nicola Morris MAPGI
www.timeline.ie
Nicola Morris MAPGI

Postby Nicola Morris MAPGI » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Chrissi 11 wrote:Hello Nicola.
I would be grateful for any advice on tracking my Irish ancestors.
Both my Great Great Grandparents came from Ireland and initially settled in Dundee where they met and married in 1852.
Their names were Peter Hart and Agnes Fields.Born around 1826-29.

In census returns they put down their place of birth as Ireland, unfortunately nothing else. He was a Plasterer (journeyman) and both signed names with a X.

From their death certificates (Buckhaven, Fife) in the 1890s Peter's parents were Peter Hart, a ploughman and Mary Armour.
Agnes's were John Fields, a ploughman and Sarah Hendry.

Any help would be great. Thank you.
Christine Smith.

I don't know if they were Catholic or not. Marrige recorded in parish register,no mention of church or religion. From then till now Church of Scotland for the family as far as I know.

Hi Christine,

If Peter and Agnes emigrated to Scotland, it is possible that they originated in the northern part of Ireland (not necessarily Northern Ireland). If their fathers were alive and leasing land or even a house, in Ireland in the 1850s, they should appear in Griffith’s Valuation.

A search of Griffith’s Valuation has found 44 men named John Fields and 55 men named Peter Hart leasing land in Ireland. It is possible that one of these households belonged to your family.

The surname Armour is very unusual, and Griffith’s recorded about 70 Armour/Armor households in Ireland in the 1850s, the majority of which were in Antrim, Down and Derry, with a small cluster in Cork.

Using land records to establish where a particular surname or collection of surnames can be found should help to identify potential places of birth for your ancestors. You may need to take a trip to PRONI in Belfast to check the parish registers (they have Church of Ireland, Presbtyerian and Roman Catholic) for counties in Northern Ireland as well as some counties in the Republic found on the border.

Nicola Morris MAPGI
www.timeline.ie
Nicola Morris MAPGI

Postby Nicola Morris MAPGI » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:50 pm

pollux83 wrote:Hi Nicola

I think(!) my ancestors lived in Co. Cavan in the early 1800s, but by 1860 were in Dublin. It's the Cavan bit that I'm struggling with. The may have lived in Annagh/Belturbet, and surnames include Campbell, (O?)Reilly and Smyth. They were probably all Church of Ireland.
I have found some possible names on-line but they don't tie in fully with family recollections.

As I live in France it's not easy for me to get over to Ireland to visit record offices etc. I'm wondering whether contacting the vicar of the Belturbet CoI church would be a good move, or the CoI records office in Roscommon (I believe), but I'm not sure that I'd achieve much at a distance.

Any thoughts please?

PS - one of the recollected ancestors was supposed to a German ladies' maid, whom I have not been able to trace at all. Were Germans commonplace in Ireland in the mid 1800s?

Hi,

It is important to work methodically back from one generation to the next, collecting as much information as you can find on each generation. Information from a later generation can often help you get back to earlier generations.

Have you tried searching the Tithe Applotment Books to identify addresses for your family in the 1830s.

Many parish registers are now available online. You can check the source lists for the Cavan Genealogy Centre at www.rootsireland.ie this will tell you whether they have indexed the records you are interested in.

Otherwise the registers will be available from the Representative Church Body Library in Dublin or through the Public Records Office of Northern Ireland. You could try contacting the local minister, but he may not have the early registers in local custody.

I hope this helps.

Nicola Morris MAPGI
www.timeline.ie
Nicola Morris MAPGI

Postby Nicola Morris MAPGI » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:55 pm

maresemartha wrote:Hi Nicola,

I would like to ask you how to go about tracking down one of my great-grandfather's sisters, Nora Enright née Dowling (b. 1881) from Finuge in Co. Kerry.

She seems to have emigrated to New York in or after 1901 (she's in 1901 Irish census) where her three children Nora Jr, Ellie and Timothy were born in the first decade of the 1900s.

However the three children are living with their Dooling grandparents in Kerry in the 1911 census (would this have been the case if their parents were still living?) but no sign of Nora and I can't find any trace of her other than two passenger records from 1904 and 1907 going to and from New York to Cobh with the kids and without her husband Daniel who was based in NY.

I do know that two of her children died in later life (in the US) but I'd love to find out more about Nora - though her trail goes cold after 1907 when she came back to Ireland, presumably Kerry, though she's not in the 1911 census at all. No family members know what happened to her nor do I know when/where she died.

I can't confirm her location in US census as there are many possibilities.

Where should I go from here?

Thanks, Marése

Hi Marése

You could try searching the Irish civil death registers, to confirm that her death was not registered in Ireland. Have you found her husband in a census, he may have been recorded as a widower, suggesting his wife was deceased.

She may have remained in the US and it would be a matter of following up on all women of that name found in the 1910 US census, which is freely available online at www.familysearch.org along with the Irish civil death records.

You could try searching for National School admission records, through the National School in Kerry where the children would have attended, to see if they state whether the mother of the children was deceased on their admission to the school.

This is a tough search, and it may be impossible to find out what really happened to Nora.

Sorry I can’t be of more assistance.

Nicola Morris MAPGI
www.timeline.ie
Nicola Morris MAPGI

Postby Nicola Morris MAPGI » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:00 pm

Helen Stanley wrote:Thank you Nicola. Is there a way to access these records on-line, or is there a web site that requires membership that might have Mayo records? Also, how do you think they found out about work in Shropshire at boot makers, when they were the first from Mayo to arrive there? I'm not very familiar with web chats so I think I keep posting in the wrong place, sorry to be a pest!

Hi Helen,

You can find the Tithe Applotment Books online at http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... b/home.jsp which is a free site, but it is not a very reliable collection, unforatunately. Mayo Parish registers are online at www.rootsireland.ie, which is pay per view. Many Mayo families travelled to England in search of seasonal work, which may be how they heard of work in Shropshire. It is laso possible that their landlord in Ireland was also an estate owner in England and provided them with employment
Nicola Morris MAPGI

Postby Nicola Morris MAPGI » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:01 pm

Felicity wrote:Many thanks Nicola for these suggestions. I will follow them up.
I haven’t found James in the 1901 Irish census but I will try the English census returns. Can I ask … Is there a regimental museum for the Galway Militia in Ireland? Also, Do you know when the parish records for Co. Galway will be available on line, like those of Dublin? I found this a good resource for my Dublin relatives.
Felicity

Hi Felicity,
I am not sure if there is a regimental museum for the Galway Militia in Galway, unfortunately. You can find Galway parish registers online at www.rootsireland.ie but it is a pay per view website.
Nicola
Nicola Morris MAPGI

Postby Helen Stanley » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:05 pm

Thanks again Nicola, you've given all of us a few more ideas to follow up!
Helen Stanley

Postby Maggie Boyd » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestions to trace the Kerr's history. The revision books sound very promising, though I shall have to hope they eventually are published online! I will chase up local history publications, though. It's useful to know there weren't sectarian issues on top of everything else that was going on, especially as I had initially assumed that's what 'the troubles' were.
Thanks again,
Maggie
Maggie Boyd

PreviousNext

Return to Live web chats