Moderator Control Panel ]

Nicola Morris (Irish ancestors)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Re: Nicola Morris

Postby Gill C » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi Nicola,
My GGGrandfather, Michael Foy, born @ 1797, was from Ireland but I have had no success locating where in Ireland he came from. The two census he appears in just state "Irish". He arrived in England @ 1825 because my GGrandfather, was born in Lambeth 1827. A stumbling block is the various ways the surname FOY is spelt : Foy, Fouhey, Fahey, Fohey. I haven't been able to find any other connected Foy families. Have you any advice on narrowing the search please ?
Many thanks, Gill
Gill C

Postby IanL » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:46 pm

G'day Nicola.
My GGG Grandmother was born in Tipperary in approximately 1825.
He Father's surname was Egan.
My G Grandfather was born June 1865 in Drumshanbo.

Please advise the best places to obtain copies of their
Respective Birth Certificates.
I live in Australia.
Thank You
IanL
IanL

Postby Chrissi 11 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:22 pm

Hello Nicola.
I would be grateful for any advice on tracking my Irish ancestors.
Both my Great Great Grandparents came from Ireland and initially settled in Dundee where they met and married in 1852.
Their names were Peter Hart and Agnes Fields.Born around 1826-29.

In census returns they put down their place of birth as Ireland, unfortunately nothing else. He was a Plasterer (journeyman) and both signed names with a X.

From their death certificates (Buckhaven, Fife) in the 1890s Peter's parents were Peter Hart, a ploughman and Mary Armour.
Agnes's were John Fields, a ploughman and Sarah Hendry.

Any help would be great. Thank you.
Christine Smith.

I don't know if they were Catholic or not. Marrige recorded in parish register,no mention of church or religion. From then till now Church of Scotland for the family as far as I know.
Last edited by Chrissi 11 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrissi 11

Postby pollux83 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi Nicola

I think(!) my ancestors lived in Co. Cavan in the early 1800s, but by 1860 were in Dublin. It's the Cavan bit that I'm struggling with. The may have lived in Annagh/Belturbet, and surnames include Campbell, (O?)Reilly and Smyth. They were probably all Church of Ireland.
I have found some possible names on-line but they don't tie in fully with family recollections.

As I live in France it's not easy for me to get over to Ireland to visit record offices etc. I'm wondering whether contacting the vicar of the Belturbet CoI church would be a good move, or the CoI records office in Roscommon (I believe), but I'm not sure that I'd achieve much at a distance.

Any thoughts please?

PS - one of the recollected ancestors was supposed to a German ladies' maid, whom I have not been able to trace at all. Were Germans commonplace in Ireland in the mid 1800s?
pollux83

Postby Editor » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:01 pm

It's now 3 o'clock and we'd like to welcome Nicola Morris onto our forum. Thank you for joining us for this next hour Nicola. I realise there are a lot of questions for you to tackle but we are grateful for any light you can shine on these problems!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Nicola Morris MAPGI » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:03 pm

Editor wrote:It's now 3 o'clock and we'd like to welcome Nicola Morris onto our forum. Thank you for joining us for this next hour Nicola. I realise there are a lot of questions for you to tackle but we are grateful for any light you can shine on these problems!

Sarah

Thanks Sarah,

I better get started!
Nicola Morris MAPGI

Postby Nicola Morris MAPGI » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:04 pm

callbrian wrote:Hi Nicola,
welcome to the live Web chat.
I have been trying to find my 3x grandfather. According to his service records he was born c1842-44 in "Tulloch Moor" Galway? Which I have been unable to find in Ireland. I have had no luck in trying to find his birth or parents. His marriage to Sarah Johnston is also a mystery and was subject to a previous webchat.
He is in the English 1881, 1891 census b Ireland and I have his death certificate 1896 Army pensioner.
He has been transcribed as Michael Tynan, Tynen,Tynon, Tynham.
Any help very much appreciated.
Regards
Brian

Hi Brian,

Michael Tynan was born prior to the start of civil registration in Ireland, which commenced in 1864. This means that the only record of his birth that you are likely to find will be his baptism. In order to locate his baptism, we need to try and establish the parish in which he was born. As the place name given for Michael Tynan was probably spelled phonetically, we may not find a placename with the exact spelling as you have it.

An excellent resource for locating place names is www.irishtimes.com/ancestor where you can search for townland names, civil and Roman Catholic parishes. By searching for Tul*mo*r* in the placename index, I came across the townland of Tullaghmore, which is located in the civil parish of Kilcummin, Co. Galway. Could this be the place where Michael was baptised?

I would also recommend that you take a look at Griffith's Valuation, a land survey taken in the 1850s. Griffith's recorded the head of nearly every household in Ireland and is used as a census substitute. It can be used to establish where particular surnames can be found in the 1850s. THis might also be a useful way to establish whether there were Tynan households in the parish of Kilcummin or elsewhere in Galway. You can use the surname index at www.irishtimes.com/ancestor to identify counties and parishes where the surname appears.

Good luck

Nicola Morris MAPGI
www.timeline.ie
Nicola Morris MAPGI

Postby Nicola Morris MAPGI » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:05 pm

teresa78 wrote:Hi Nicola,
I'm trying to find out if a record I found on a Thomas Jones is the same Thomas Jones i'm related to (my great great grandfather from Castleisland, Co. Kerry).
The record is a Tralee prison record from 1860, he was suspected of being a deserter from the 11th regiment. Please see image attached (line item 173). The record has '... ... ..' for some of the fields, what does this mean, does it mean the same as the field above that field? Are there Castleisland or Tralee Court records I could check from this time?
Thanks,
teresa78

Hi Teresa

Thanks for your equiry. The " " " that you refer to means that the information is the same as the line above. This means that this Thomas Jones was tried at the Castleisland Petty Session Court. If there are surviving records for Castleisland Petty Sessions they will be held in the National Archives of Ireland. However, it is also possible that a newspaper local to Castleisland published the court proceedings and may have reported on the trial of this individual. A newspaper account may provide you with more information about him. You will find online newspaper collections at www.findmypast.co.uk and at www.irishnewsarchives.com but the majority of Irish newspapers are not online. Microfilm copies will be found at the British Newspaper Library and the National Library of Ireland.

Best of luck

Nicola Morris MAPGI
www.timeline.ie
Nicola Morris MAPGI

Postby Nicola Morris MAPGI » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:06 pm

whitm086 wrote:Hi Nicola
I have tried to find information on my great greatfather Patrick Quinn and his family .they lived in Dunshaughlin co. Meath. Patrick died following an accident in 1874. I have tried to get the coroners report but to no avail.I would love to know where he is buried and would love his birth cert.His wife was Mary McCluskey and they had 3 children Julia,John and Lucy .Any information would be much appreciated .Thank you
Martina White

Hi Martina,

Not all coroners records for the 19th century survive and this may be the case for the Dunshaughlin area. Have you spoken to anyone in the National Archives of Ireland about coroners records for Meath from 1874?

Locating burial sites for Irish ancestors can be difficult. The Roman Catholic church generally did not keep very good burial records and many families could not afford to raise a headstone, which can make it very difficult to determine where a specific grave is located. However, it might be worth checking newspapers that were published in the area where Patrick Quinn died in 1874. Local papers often published verbatim accounts of the coroners enquiry and a death notice for Patrick may also state where he was buried.

Patrick was born prior to 1864, and the start of civil registration in Ireland, which means that you will not find a birth certificate for him. You will have to search for his baptismal record, which you will only find in the baptismal registers for the parish in which he was born survive. Have you tried searching for a marriage of Patrick Quinn and his wife. If they married after 1864, this will tell you Patrick’s father’s name and occupation and his address prior to marriage.

I hope this helps.

Nicola Morris MAPGI
www.timeline.ie
Nicola Morris MAPGI

Postby Nicola Morris MAPGI » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:07 pm

Helen Stanley wrote:Thank you very much for your offer of help with Irish research. I'm quite experienced, but I'm struggling with this branch of my mothers' family!
The family name is McCoy and I believe that my branch left Mayo in the 1830s and were living in Broseley in Shropshire by 1841. My 3x great grandfather was James, born Mayo, 1806 and his wife Catherine, born 1815ish, Mayo, and a son called John, born in Mayo 1832 details from the Broseley census only. More of James' siblings joined them.
I'm aware that Mayo and Sligo records overlap, but from the forename usage (mostly Bridget) and the flimsy details on the following census, I have come to the shaky conclusion that they are from Ballindoo/Doocastle, in Kilturra Parish, Mayo.
Griffiths valuation gives a Margaret McCoy, landlord Joseph M McDonnell, holding the house and just over an acre of land in Doocastle from John B Lindsey of Turin Castle in the barony of Kilmaine.
I do try really hard to be accurate and I'm concerned that I've made this fit because I want it to be true, but also we're dreaming of going to Mayo for our anniversary next year if we can get the money together and would like to go to the right place! If you could help or suggest some more lines of research I would be very grateful. I do have a lot of forward research if that helps.
Thanks again
Helen Stanley

Hi Helen,

The surname McCoy is not very common to Co. Mayo and using land records to identify potential places of birth is a legitimate route.

Have you tried searching the Tithe Applotment Books. The Tithe Applotment Books were compiled between 1823 and 1838 for the purpose of assessing the rate of the Tithe, a religious tax which was levied for the upkeep of the established church, the Church of Ireland. The Tithe was only applied to certain types of agricultural land. Although the Tithe Applotment Books are limited, they are the most comprehensive record of land holdings in Ireland in the early 19th century.

A survey of the Tithe Applotment Books may help you to establish where there were McCoy households in Co. Mayo in the 1830s, before James McCoy emigrated.

The difficulty with researching some Mayo families is that the parish registers, which record the baptisms and marriages, don’t often survive for the early 19th century. This means that it may be impossible to state with any certainty whether you have found the correct family, unless of course you try the DNA option.

I hope this helps.

Nicola Morris MAPGI
www.timeline.ie
Nicola Morris MAPGI

PreviousNext

Return to Live web chats