Moderator Control Panel ]

Help needed please with photograph of young man

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Help needed please with photograph of young man

Postby BlossomStreet » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:45 pm

Please could you help me identify the period of this photograph (dropbox link below), and let me know how old you think the young man is, and/or what kind of occupation he might have had?

Thank you very much for any help you can give.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ine2ujshk9mc ... EOCrFYjlGa
BlossomStreet

Re: Help needed please with photograph of young man

Postby brunes08 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:12 pm

I think it is most likely that the photo was taken towards the end of the nineteenth century. The oval frame was quite common then and the clothes are similar to those in a photo of my great grandfather who died in 1906. Hope that helps a little.
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:36 pm

Do you know what part of the world the photo is from?

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby BlossomStreet » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:51 am

Thank you! Can I ask how old your father was when he died in 1906? And do you know what your grandfather did for his living?
BlossomStreet

Postby BlossomStreet » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:52 am

I think from Wolverhampton or possibly Leighton/Wellington in Shropshire (both England).
BlossomStreet

Postby brunes08 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:05 am

Hi there,
My great grandfather was a tailor. He was 62 when he died in 1906. I think the photo was taken probably when he was in his late 50s, so about the turn of the century.
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:46 pm

I've tried to see if I can pick up any features that might help.

If you look at the lapels of the coat or jacket, they are very wide at the lower part. This suggests to me that the sitter is wearing a frock coat, a fairly formal and conservative garment that was starting to go out of fashion in the 1870s but remained in use for some time, at least into the 1890s, particularly for businessmen who wished to convey a conservative, formal, attitude (any help about potential career?). There is edging round the lapels and I read that silk braid binding on frock coats was often found during the 1870s. The bow tie would be seen in that era but it wasn't the only neck-wear and it clearly carried on.

The other aspect that strikes me is that this photo (or more probably, its negative) seems to have been worked on. (I'm assuming that you haven't tried to alter it yourself). The collar and bow-tie seem to have been worked on, as does the hair line. I find it unlikely that a typical studio photo from the early 1890s or 1900s would need its negative tweaking, suggesting an earlier date.

On the other hand, I could be disastrously wrong....
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jadela » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:37 am

Well I was born in 1990 My grandpa is in the military before me and my Brother 1987 but my grandma is a Philippine and my dad Daniel Hearn that changed to Sac Duro is born in 1957 and married my mom too Blessie Sac Duro

Sent from my iPod touch using WDYTYA Forum
Jadela

Postby BlossomStreet » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:10 am

Thanks for your thoughts on the clothes - I think you present a good case for it being older than I first thought, particularly given the nature of the lapels and tie. I haven't done any touching up but will have an opportunity to look at the original this weekend so I will look again closely. Many thanks.
BlossomStreet

Return to Photo identification