Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC)

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC)

Postby Big Andy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:53 pm

I have traced my own military forbears which was relatively straightforward as they stayed with a particular regiment for the duration.

My partner has now asked me to trace her father's military history.

It seems a bit more difficult to try to trace RAMC personnel as they would have moved from regiment to regiment depending on the need.

I don't have any service number or other specific data but my partner has told me that he underwent arctic style training in Scotland and ended up at Arnhem.

His name was Bert Clark.

How should I go about trying to trace him ?

Big Andy

Re: Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC)

Postby phsvm » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:53 pm

If we went to Arnhem you're talking Second World War so his military records would be closed but can be requested by his next of kin (his daughter, unless his wife is still alive - I assume he isn't).

I suggest that first you get his full name- presumably 'Bert' is a shortened version - and his date and place of birth.

Have a look at the RBL site as they give a good explaination -

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/remembr ... cords-faqs
phsvm

Postby Big Andy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:12 pm

[/quote]
phsvm wrote:I suggest that first you get his full name- presumably 'Bert' is a shortened version - and his date and place of birth.

Thanks for your help phsvm.

His full name was :-
Bertram Louis Clark
His service no was either 1382834 or 7382834
(The handwriting is unclear).

I also have a concert party programme which suggests that he was in the
157th Field Ambulance
Big Andy

Postby Gwil » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:37 pm

If he was RAMC then 7382834 is the most likely of those two.
See the relevant number block in this article

http://www.1914-1918.net/renumbering20.htm
Gwil

Postby Big Andy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:33 pm

Gwil wrote:If he was RAMC then 7382834 is the most likely of those two.
See the relevant number block in this article

http://www.1914-1918.net/renumbering20.htm

Thanks for your help Gwil. :) That gives me so much extra confidence about the service number. I will now apply for his service history & see what comes back !

Big Andy

Postby phsvm » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:58 pm

You're still getting confused here.

Your original post said he went to Arnhem. That would mean he saw action in the Second World War (The Battle of Arnhem was September 1944). 'Artic style training' also sounds much more like WW2 when troops were sent to Norway. As far as I am aware the closest warfare got to the Artic in WW1 was sea battles off Jutland so there was no 'artic style training'.

If he was in WW2 you need to apply for his records (or his next of kin does). If he was WW1 then any records for his military service should be available on line.

You say it's his daughter who you're doing the research for. Without meaning to be offensive if he saw action in WW1 then his daughter must be at least 80 years old - no one who saw action in WW1 would have been born later than 1900 so probably any children they had would have been born by 1930 at the latest. If he served in WW1 then his daughter could be aged anywhere between about 75 and 50.

The link Gwil has given you is for WW1 so if you're looking at WW2 it's not an appropriate site to look at for information.
phsvm

Postby phsvm » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:59 pm

What date does the concert party programme have on it and is he listed in it?
phsvm

Postby Gwil » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:50 pm

phsvm wrote:You're still getting confused here.

The link Gwil has given you is for WW1 so if you're looking at WW2 it's not an appropriate site to look at for information.

The link I gave might be a WW1 site but the info on that page is about re-numbering post 1920 (still within WW1 'era' for that site). Men in those number block were certainly in WW2.

Hopefuly this CWGC link will work

They are around 31 RAMC WW2 casualties numbers 7382xxx

Men either side of 7382834

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx? ... &order=asc

Gwil
Last edited by Gwil on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwil

Postby phsvm » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:04 am

thanks for the clarification Gwil. I think all indications are that it is a WW2 service record that needs to be looked at.
phsvm

Postby Big Andy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:41 am

phsvm wrote:I think all indications are that it is a WW2 service record that needs to be looked at.

It is definitely WW2 records that I need to look at.

Bert passed away about 11 or 12 years ago now and before I got to know his daughter - and she is not that old !

Sorry - I should have been a bit more explicit when I first submitted my enquiry.

Big Andy

Return to Military help