Moderator Control Panel ]

Can you determine age period please?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Can you determine age period please?

Postby bsidebaby » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:41 am

Hello it will be made harder by the fact I assume that the children are wearing fancy dress? But what period do you think this photo was taken? I believe I know who they are but they could just as easily be from the generation beneath so any ideas would be gratefully received :-)
Attachments
1406615880380.jpg
1406615880380.jpg (52.58 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
bsidebaby

Re: Can you determine age period please?

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:05 pm

Is there anything on the reverse about the studio who took the picture? Because otherwise, to me, there is nothing to go on for exactly the reason you stated - fancy dress with nothing period specific shown. :cry: Not even hair....
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ksouthall » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:29 pm

Perhaps the fancy dress was to celebrate a local or national event; e.g. a coronation; anniversary of a major battle - e.g. 1905 - 100 years after the Battle of Trafalgar or 1888 - 300 years after the defeat of the Spanish Armada?

I'm just speculating here so please feel free to ignore these suggestions. Do you have any ideas why there were dressed up?
ksouthall

Postby ermin79 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:53 pm

I agree with the previous suggestion, it looks like a theme - possibly something to do with the Napoleon wars or revolutionary France, the boy on the left's tricorn hat looks a bit like the kind of hat you'd see in a production of the Scarlet Pimpernel.
On a more practical note, is this a photograph or a postcard? If it is a postcard it may be possible to date within a couple of decades by the printed wording on the back - WDYTYA magazine had an article about it a few months ago, I will search it out if it would assist.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
ermin79

Return to Photo identification