Moderator Control Panel ]

WDYTYA - Australian 2014 series

From Heir Hunters to Wartime Farm, this is the place to discuss other genealogy and history programmes

WDYTYA - Australian 2014 series

Postby Sylcec » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:22 pm

We have already had 3 episodes of this year's Australian WDYTYA series. The first, featuring Andrew Denton, was excellent - he carried through his professionalism as a presenter and interviewer, into his role as the subject of the investigation. He has an interesting mixed Catholic and Jewish history with his Jewish ancestor leaving Poland for London in the 1880s. Other descendents were sent to the death camp at Treblinka in WWII.
Last week's episode was Jacki Weaver, a very different, but gentle story of illegitimacy and child abandonment in NSW, but with some warm and caring stories.
Tomorrow we get Richard Roxburgh, star of the 'Rake' TV series, and apparently he gets a surprise in being taken to Jamaica to find ancestors on both the slave owning and emancipating sides of the equation.
If you get the opportunity to see these in the UK or elsewhere, do watch. http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/whodoyouthinkyouare/episodes/page/i/1/h/Episodes/
Sylcec

Re: WDYTYA - Australian 2014 series

Postby ksouthall » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:27 pm

Thanks for the information Sylvia. The series looks good. I will try and look at the episodes and get back to you with feedback.
The UK series is also due to be shown soon. This year there will be ten episodes with what looks like an interesting and varied list of people.
ksouthall

Postby MartinJ1952 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:33 pm

UK Series starts Thursday August 7 at 9.00pm on BBC 1, featuring Julie Walters. The is a special 10 year anniversary program on the night before starting at 10.35 on BBC 1,

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Martin
MartinJ1952

Postby ksouthall » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:45 pm

Thanks for the information Martin. That's something to look forward to next week.
ksouthall

Postby clarksclerks » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:24 am

Hi Sylvia

Yes, I have enjoyed the episodes so far, especially Richard Roxburgh who grew up in the town where I live (I could name-drop and say I worked with his sister!). The frustrating thing is that we still haven't been able to see the last British series in Australia on free to air, and it must be nearly a year since it was shown in the UK. It was started on Foxtel but then stopped after four episodes to make way for yet another tedious nature show and more episodes of those awful men with their cars!

I'm hoping I can buy the series on DVD when I'm in the UK this month.

Eileen
clarksclerks

Postby Jadela » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:42 am

I watch it I like it so much I what to know where my ancestors what do they do at work Jessica

Sent from my iPod touch using WDYTYA Forum
Jadela

Postby vnolan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:17 am

I agree with clarksclerks.

Why tease us with the promise of getting to watch a show and then take it off air. Do they think no one will watch the British version in Australia. Looks like it's time to vote with the remote!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
vnolan

Postby Sylcec » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:27 pm

Yes, I agree with Eileen also - as I had a 5 wk overseas trip in May & June, I got home assuming that I had missed the English series on SBS - but no, we never got it. I'm wondering if it has become too expensive for SBS - certainly they haven't been selling the DVDs of the English series since the 4th one. Foxtel subscribers apparently get the programs fairly promptly. (but I don't do pay TV)

I've also been reading about another program that we don't get, is it called "Finding my family"? Apparently a new series starting tomorrow in the UK, hosted by Davina McCall and another.
Sylvia

PS: And, yes, the Richard Roxburgh program was fantastic. Looking forward to Tuesday night in again :)
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:31 pm

JKR: Please report back, as we poor Aussies don't get this one! I have read that the first episode of this new series is mother finding daughter, then the same daughter finding her father. As an adoptive mother I find this sort of story particularly interesting. (We made contact with my daughter's biological parents when she was still in her 'teens).
Sylcec

Postby shannalisekuhn » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:56 pm

I want to know my family history

Sent from my iPod touch using WDYTYA Forum
shannalisekuhn

Next

Return to Other TV and radio programmes