Moderator Control Panel ]

Patrick McGovern soldier in France

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Patrick McGovern soldier in France

Postby JPM99 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:41 am

Hello everyone. I am wondering what the best course of action would be in finding out more about my ancestor who was a solider in France around 1815-1825. His son was born in France in 1823. Town unknown. It seems later they moved back to Ireland and then to Scotland. I don't know how it came to be that he had his wife with him. Any thoughts?
John

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JPM99

Re: Patrick McGovern soldier in France

Postby ksouthall » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:15 pm

My great-great-great-great-grandfather served in France at around the same time. Two of his children were born there. I am not sure why his wife was there - at some point I am planning to go and look at the muster rolls at TNA to see if they provide any additional information.

Have you obtained a copy of your ancestor's army discharge record?
ksouthall

Postby Sylcec » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:57 am

A certain percentage of other ranks soldiers were allowed to take their wives (one per soldier!) and family overseas "on the strength". Priority would be given to those of longer periods of service and rank - Sergeant, Corporal, etc. I'm sure one of our military experts will explain it better.
Sylcec

Postby fuzzyfoz » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:32 am

Hello Patrick,
My problem us that I have only supposition that my ancestor was in the military.
His children were born Ireland, Scotland and England from 1815 - 1825.
He was a gunmaker and that occupation was consistent on all his children's marriage certificate until his death 1867.
Because of the variation of places for the birth of his children (which I have never been able to locate) and having the occupation as a gunmaker, rightly or wrongly I assume he would possibly have a military connection.
Not knowing which Military attachment I have no idea where to start a search.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sylvia
BC Canada
fuzzyfoz

Postby JPM99 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:55 pm

I wouldn't know where to start looking? Where do you find discharge records? Thanks all

JPM99

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:46 pm

I suggest you start by reading the guides from TNA (Kew). But at that time the only surviving personnel records are for those discharged to pension. As mentioned above muster rolls also survive giving summary details for people in a regiment etc at intervals.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby fuzzyfoz » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:47 am

Thank you so much for your input.
Sylvia
fuzzyfoz

Postby ksouthall » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:54 am

Some army discharge records have been digitised on FindMyPast so you might find something on there by entering your ancestor's name. I wouldn't enter too much information into the search fields though as the pension records may not contain the place and date of birth you are expecting, if your ancestor was not too sure of this information when he enlisted.
ksouthall

Postby Sylcec » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:45 pm

Not sure if we are dealing with one query or 2 here - are JPM99 and fuzzyfox chasing the same ancestor? If so then I think you may be assuming too much by placing Patrick McGovern in the military just because he was a gunmaker . There was/is a guild of gunmakers, and suggest you look at their site and maybe contact them for advice: http://www.gunmakers.org.uk/ .
Sylcec

Postby JPM99 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:46 pm

I think fuzzyfox is after someone else. On the record of his sons death his fathers occupation is soldier. And in other places soldier in the British army

JPM99

Next

Return to Military help