Moderator Control Panel ]

Writing a book on an ancester for family

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Postby aitch2o » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:42 am

I would like very much to hear from anyone who has written a book on an ancestor, or ancestors, and had it privately published.

Did you use a ghost writer?

How did you present it to the publishers?

How did you find a printer?

and all the questions I cannot think of but need to know the answers to!
aitch2o

Re: Writing a book on an ancester for family

Postby grandmabear » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:30 pm

I have written a couple of stories about ancestors, best to look for a publisher and email for advise. After doing so I decided to do it my way using an online photo book company. you have the option of having full txt pages for writing and then arrange photos etc to suit.
The publisher will keep a copy for library use so other people can read it.
also you will need to list where you got the information from etc. plus any photos you use.
But definitely contact a publisher as they are very helpful and tell you exactly what is required.
Good Luck, it will be fun.
Jan
grandmabear

Postby junkers » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:48 pm

If you haven't thought of it you need to consider any possible copyright issues on material you are going to use and that make sure you have your own copyright on the book and anyone who might be covered by the Data Protection Act.
junkers

Postby aitch2o » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:45 am

Thank you for your responses. They have inspired me to get a move on and investigate this idea much further. I have now read a book called

How to Publish Your Own Book by Stewart Ferris and I now have my own copy second hand from an internet book shop. New it costs £6.99p.

I have poor sight and so I think I must employ secretarial help. I tried to contact a few agencies and their fees are astronomical. So I am toying with the idea of going back to having a lodger and letting the room to someone who can do typing for me in return for a rent rebate.

Fortunately the various laws on what you cannot do and can do do not apply under the rent-a-room scheme so I really can advertise "room to let to clean quiet female who can type and has an interest in colonial America".
aitch2o

Postby coopernicola » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:40 pm

If you have a local university or college you may be able to find someone to help writing your book, or alternatively asking at your local archive/library may be a way ahead. Having worked at my local university in the past these queries are not uncommon.
Good luck, Nicola
coopernicola

Return to Genealogy chat