Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Navy Stations

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Royal Navy Stations

Postby SomersetCricketer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:43 am

I have been given information from St Agnes, Cornwall, that my Great Uncle is shown on their War Memorial, he was born in Sussex, England, served in the Royal Navy, Submarine Service, was killed in 1918 whilst submerged off the Welsh Coast, when a British Merchantman saw his Sub surfacing and thought it was a German Sub. The thing is I know all this but what I dont know is the reason he was listed on the St Agnes War Memorial. The St Agnes Museum has done some checking and found out he served (on his service record) from 10 Oct 13 to 31 Jul 14 his ship being noted as "Western 'St Agnes' Btn" this Battalian is too early to be associated with the Naval Division.
So what was the Western St Agnes Btn?
Anyone know anything about this?
Thanks for any help in this matter, I am sure that the Museum would also be happy to have an answer.
SomersetCricketer

Re: Royal Navy Stations

Postby brunes08 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:08 pm

Perhaps you might obtain some information from the Cornish Studies Library at Redruth. Their site is cornwallstudies.library@cornwall.gov.uk tel: 01209 216 670. Apart from a large archive, the library also holds many local newspapers. I would look for you as the library is not too far away but I am about to head off on holiday. Hope that helps a bit.
brunes08

Re: Royal Navy Stations

Postby junkers » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:03 pm

Have you checked The National Archives website?. it may help us to help you if you could tell us your Great- Uncle's name.
junkers

Return to Military help