Moderator Control Panel ]

Profession confusion

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Profession confusion

Postby ZoeOrrell » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:00 pm

ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1405356985.524201.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1405356985.524201.jpg (204.8 KiB) Viewed 2040 times

Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone can decipher what this says, I went to my Grandpa's and he gave me a marriage certificate between his Uncle John Kay and his Auntie Edith Smethurst in 1931, but I don't know what it says. I wondered if anyone else can decipher it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Zoe.
ZoeOrrell

Re: Profession confusion

Postby ermin79 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Looks to me like Operative Trimmer Felt Hatter, but i don't know enough about hat manufacture to know if that was an actual profession, sorry

Sent from my HTC Desire C using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
ermin79

Postby brunes08 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:52 pm

The first word certainly looks like 'operative'. The middle one is not so clear but looks to start with 'tri'. The last part could be 'felt' or possibly 'feet'. The last word could even be 'halter'.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby brunes08 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:48 pm

I've just had another look at the middle word. There seems to be a dot above the centre part just like the one above the i in operative. So perhaps there is an i there. Another thought, are there any other words on the certificate - names, address etc- which could help in studying the formation of the Registrar's writing?
brunes08

Postby ZoeOrrell » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:11 pm

Thank you for all your help in helping me yo understand what it says. Her Dad's occupation was a foreman operative and I think that will make sense in your theory's. Not that I know what a foreman operative was.

Thank you
Zoe
ZoeOrrell

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:34 pm

"Operative" is used to denote the one who does the physical work. Thus, somebody might be called a tailor because they ran a tailoring business - they might not have picked up a needle for years. The physical tailoring would be carried out by the operatives - also known as tailors. The English language is not very precise in this case.....

Of course, it all falls apart again when trying to decide whether a "foreman operative" was a foreman who looked after operatives, or a foreman who was an operative.... :? (Trying to be a little more helpful there, I suspect that in most workshops of any size, the foreman would spend most of his time managing the operatives - whether or not he had time left to do any physical work, i.e., be an operative himself, depends on the size of the workshop.)
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Photo identification