Moderator Control Panel ]

Chris Paton (Scottish ancestors)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Chris Paton (Scottish ancestors)

Postby jonbauckham » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:05 pm

jonbauckham

Re: Chris Paton

Postby dfgrty » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:11 am

Seeking information about:
Andrew McKay (Mackay) and his parents Andrew McKay & Agnes McIntosh and any other family.
Estimated DOB 1811-12 Ayrshire, Scotland (thought to be Girvan but may be Govan – see death registration)

From Death certificate See attached
15 May 1887 Maryborough
Andrew MACKAY Miner 75
Father Andrew MACKAY
Mother Agnes formerly McIntosh
Informant Andrew David Mackay Son
Born G---n, Ayrshire, Scotland
30 years in Victoria
Married in London, England age not known
Wife Elizabeth Jenkins (deceased 1877)
Children Andrew David 41
Mary Agnes 37

Married in London to Elizabeth Jenkins, date unknown est 1844
2 children born in London
Andrew David McKay 1846
Date of Registration: 1846 Jul-Aug-Sep
Inferred County: London
Registration district: Stepney
Volume: 2
Page: 510

Mary Agnes McKay
Christening Date: 22 May 1850
Christening Place:
SAINT DUNSTAN, STEPNEY, LONDON, ENGLAND
Birth Date: 07 May 1850

Any help locating his date and place of birth, the marriage of his parents or any siblings would really be appreciated. Thank you.
Dale Fogarty
Attachments
Mackay_Andrew_1887_Death copy.jpg
Mackay_Andrew_1887_Death copy.jpg (200.59 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
dfgrty

Postby rtstodd » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:25 am

Have hit a brick wall with James Stewart/Stuart who was Town Sergeant and Provosts Officer in Aberdeen. He was buried on 22 Nov 1810 in Aberdeen but I cannot find any information on his birth, parents, wife or family. As he held such a respected position I thought I would have found more information other than just his death.
An entry from the Council Minutes of Aberdeen from December 1810 states:
"The Council empowered the magistrates to nominate and appoint one of the Town Sergeants as successor to the late James Stewart in the office of Provost's Officer"

Any help with this gentleman would be much appreciated.
All the best
Richard
rtstodd

Postby ScottH » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:06 pm

Until now I've done all research online, mainly via Scotland's People. I'm visiting Edinburgh in a few weeks time so wondering if you have any tips on how I can take my research further at the Scotland's People Centre, National Records of Scotland etc. I'd like to "add flesh to the bones", finding more stories and information on individuals as well as taking lines further back.

Thanks.
ScottH

Postby Madgie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:51 pm

My greatgrandfather Henry James (sometimes Harry) was born 1831 or 1835 on the Island of Jura. His father William Clement James was an Excise Officer. The above dates, place of birth, father's name and occupation come from marriage certificate 1877 (Northants), censuses (1881, 1891, 1901), death certificate, all having him living in either Bucks or Northants. Excise and Customs have no record of him (he may have been temporary). Also there appears to be no trace of him on Jura (I hired a Scottish genealogist 12 years ago to search). He is my reinforced concrete wall, and would appreciate any nudges in a more profitable direction, PLEASE.
Madgie

Postby ewanarm » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:41 pm

Have hit a brick wall with my great great great grandfather William Armstrong, born 1814 in Roxburghshire. Married Susan Tait also born around 1814 but cannot find a marriage anywhere. Also cannot find births or baptisms for either. Appear in the 1841 Census in Yetholm and in subsequent censuses in Scotland and England. William was a land agent who moved around a bit before settling in Bishop Auckland.

My great great grandfather was their eldest son William Armstrong. Parish record of in the parish register of Edrom, Berwickshire lists the births of all their children. Was wondering if you could give me any advice on where to go next.
ewanarm

Postby 33hannahg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:26 pm

My granddad is Scottish and his family members are very few ,so tracing my family from Scotland is hard ,especially as Scotland's people is an expense I couldn't afford to keep paying to keep getting wrong answers ,my great granddad is James Coburn born 1905, GLASGOW CITY/LANARK, died 18/10/1988 in Ayrshire, I have been trying to find his mum and dad,and his siblings if possible the information I have is his birth mum was Jessie coburn ,but in his marriage to Margaret Hamilton his mum and dad was named William coburn and Marion coburn, maiden name bell ,I would appreciate any help at all
33hannahg

Postby HeidiC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:02 am

Hello, I'm looking for my William Hamilton, b. 1799. According to his gravestone, born in Glasgow. Went to Prince Edward Island. There are three William Hamiltons born in Lanarkshire in 1799 according to Scottish Church Records. How do I find out which William is mine? Thanks!
HeidiC

Postby Tigertabby » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:48 pm

Hello, I have reached a block on two of my Scottish ancestors. Rev Benjamin Laing was born in 1792 in Duns and died in Colmonell in October 1862. His father was Rev Robert Laing who was born in 1750 near Perth probably in the Abernethy area. Robert was a Presbyterian Minister who emigrated to America in 1794 leaving his son Benjamin behind. My Great Aunt commissioned a report from the Scots Ancestory Research Society in 1965 of which I am in possession. This report concluded that Robert Laing was married to Jean Paterson but was unable to find any proof of this marriage or any proof of Benjamin’s birth. I also cannot find evidence on Scotlands People or Ancestory and it is these two facts that I am keen to prove. I do know that they were definitely Father and son. I am also very interested to know if Benjamin had any siblings. Following the 'rule' that first sons were named after their Fathers, it would seem to imply that there may have been siblings.
When Robert went to America he re-married so I am assuming that his first wife Jean died. Robert led a colourful life as a Minister in American and was often rebuked and then re-instated but he was well thought of as after his death a memorial was erected in his memory and I have been able to track him in America including further children that he had, but cannot find the evidence I would like to find in this country. I would be grateful for any pointers that you can give me even if it is just the fact that I may never be able to find this proof!
Tigertabby

Postby Panda53 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi
Am trying to find out more information about John Martin born 29 August 1818 to James Martin circa 1787 Galloway, and Elizabeth circa 1788 Lanarkshire. He and brother Norval, 24 February 1824 Hackney London. went to the Caledonian Asylum (a school for children of invalided Scottish soldiers) in London during 1830s, He emmigrated to Australia and married Hannah Potter 13 January 1849 in Adelaide South Australia. Have descendants in Australia
James was invalided in Corfu and I think I have the correct document from findmypast.
Family Lore states John was born in Scotland however as Norval was born in London I have tried searching without luck on ancestry, findmypast and familysearch for additional children.
Application to Caledonian Asylum suggests there were at least 7 children dependent around 1827 (have a copy of both John and Norval's applications however there is not a place of birth for either of them).
I tried tracing Norval but after his marriage to Jane Glass in 1843 and two children nothing.
Just wondering if there are further places I could try to add some more depth to my great great grandfather.
Thank you
Amanda
Panda53

Next

Return to Live web chats