Moderator Control Panel ]

Which James Heaton?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Which James Heaton?

Postby oddbod » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:38 pm

I'm trying to find out what info i can on my great grandfather James Heaton.
He was born in Cumberland in 1882, although his parents, siblings and later family were from Bolton, Lancashire.
Unfortunately James Heaton is a common name in the North West, so finding out what military records relate to my ancestor is proving tricky.
I've uploaded a picture of James, and one with the Mess Staff at Dettingen barracks, (James is front right of picture.
So, if anyone can identify his regiment, it would really help me.

Regards

Andrew
Attachments
James Heaton Army.jpg
James Heaton Army.jpg (192.43 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
James Heaton 1914.jpg
James Heaton
James Heaton 1914.jpg (100.31 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
oddbod

Re: Which James Heaton?

Postby brunes08 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:07 pm

A quick search on the internet suggests you might be able to get some information from the Military Museum at Aldershot in Hampshire. This was where Dettingen Barracks used to be before being demolished. Another site seemed to suggest this was the home of the Logistics Corps but it may not be the case. Hope that helps a little.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby JaneyH » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Can I suggest that you also post your question on the Great War Forum? There's a wealth of military experts on there offering their knowledge very freely. The address is: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/ and all you need to do to join is just register.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby jeffward » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:45 pm

Hello, I've been taking a close look at the cap badge in the portrait and while it's not particularly clear, it is a large one and the outline is very similar to that of the Manchester Regiment. So bearing in mind where he came from it seems a good bet. Also Ancestry shows a James Heaton born 1882 in the Manchester Regt. Regards Jeff Ward
jeffward

Postby oddbod » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:54 pm

Many thanks for your help. I check out your suggestions.
Regards
Andrew
oddbod

Postby oddbod » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:07 am

Further to my original posting, I've found a pic of James Heaton's wife Emma and 2 children. One appears to be wearing his cap! Does anyone recognise the badges?
Attachments
HODSONS! 007.jpg
HODSONS! 007.jpg (102.84 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
oddbod

Postby coopernicola » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:26 pm

Check out Google - this will give you some great images. The badges in the adult & child photographs appear to be different so he may have transferred from one unit to another. On e the second photograph the cap badge could be The Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire) which would fit with the caption on the first photograph. The Manchester Regiment badge may be that worn on the child as they are large and not symmetrical. It may be you can get a better idea comparing with the original photographs.
coopernicola

Postby oddbod » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:10 pm

The girl in the picture was born in 1908 and the boy in the cap born 1912.
This would place the pic right at the start of the war.
oddbod

Return to Military help