Moderator Control Panel ]

Ancestry forcing Windows and hardware upgrade

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Ancestry forcing Windows and hardware upgrade

Postby grandpadragon » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:04 pm

I have just had a message appear at the top of my screen when logged into Ancestry stating that from October Windows XP and Vista will not be able to use Web search and that an upgrade to 7 or 8.1 will be required. Also IE8 & 9 will not function properly. I run Vista and my PC will not run 8.1 with out fitting more ram and as a Pensioner I cant afford to add ram and buy Windows 8.1. I really object to Ancestry forcing me into this and although I have been happy on Ancestry I feel cancellation of my subscription coming on :evil:
Emlyn
grandpadragon

Re: Ancestry forcing Windows and hardware upgrade

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:42 pm

I just tried to Google this and I have a feeling that this applies to Web Search from within FTM. Is that how you're using it? Which means that bringing the browser up on doing the query in there might still work. The other thing is that it seems that the objection is not to Vista but to the IE browser and one recommendation is to use Google's Chrome or Mozilla's Firefox browser - both of which are free.

I must emphasise that this is all a bit of guessing on my part as I've not seen the message. But there may be a way ahead without buying new hardware.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby leslam » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:33 am

The problem is that later versions of Internet Explorer require Windows 8 or above.
A bit of background - versions of Internet Explorer that use Vista or XP have been proved to be vulnerable to attacks from hackers, so the industry wants to ensure that they aren't encouraging people to carry on using those versions. It's very awkward, but they need to make things as secure as possible.
I would try using Chrome instead. It's certainly more secure than earlier versions of IE and I think you'll find it works OK.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
leslam

Postby JaneyH » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:53 am

I've had the opposite problem - a hardware upgrade (new laptop) has forced me into a software upgrade (new version of Family Tree Maker). My new laptop is running Windows 8.1 and while FTM 2010 would work for the most part - my existing tree loaded fine - I couldn't see any search results. After contact with the Ancestry helpline I established that this was because the browser embedded in FTM 2010 is quite an old one and won't work with Windows 8.1.

I had the option of a straight software upgrade for £20, but in the end I bought FTM 2014 Platinum. Although this cost £50 it included 6 months subscription to Ancestry Premium ... which costs just over £100 per year. A good bargain in the end!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby grandpadragon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:25 pm

These are the 2 messages and as you can see I have to upgrade Windows which not only means buying a new copy but also more ram and possibly upgrading other programs that wont work on
8.1. Also there is the kerfufle of having to reinstall all the existing programs. I shall have to really investigate what is needed. Not a happy bunny.
Emlyn

On Ancestry
We’re making updates that may impact your Ancestry experience. Certain features on Ancestry will have reduced functionality or may not be supported when using Internet Explorer 8 or 9. Check out the recommended browsers for more information.
On FTM
We’re making updates that may impact your Ancestry experience. Certain features on Ancestry will have reduced functionality or may not be supported when using Internet Explorer 8 or 9. Check out the recommended browsers for more information.
We’re making updates that may impact your Family Tree Maker experience. Starting in October 2014, Ancestry Web Search within Family Tree Maker software will have reduced functionality or may not be supported by Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista or Internet Explorer 8 or 9. Moving forward, Microsoft Windows 7 or 8 will be required for Ancestry Web Search functionality to work properly.
grandpadragon

Postby ColinB » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm concerned about this too. I have Windows 7 and my laptop is only 2 years old but I found that I cannot move from IE9 as I need to install Service Pack 1 first , and I can't do that because my graphics drivers are already out of date and no updates are available.. ( this is a known problem with installing SP1 ). I have Firefox so plan to use that for the website , but the second message seems to indicate that it's necessary to have IE10 or 11 for FTM to work ( I have FTM 2012 ). I'm not sure what I can do , short of buying a new laptop and I'm not really ready for that just yet !

Colin
ColinB

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Thanks for copying the entire message.... There's an awful lot of "may" and undefined "reduced" in that. Fair enough - no way can Ancestry know what everyone's set-up is at the detailed level to predict exact behaviour, hence there's a lot of posterior covering.

Background: because earlier versions of IE did their own thing, providers had to code their web-sites to do special things for different versions of IE. Eventually, writing this "If IE7 then X else if IE8 then Y else...." gets unviable - especially if there's no realistic way of testing. So sites will amend code but omit the "If IE7 then ..." logic.

I think the situation divides into two.

Part 1 is direct use of Ancestry - Ancestry will stop writing "If IE8 or IE9 then ..." code in October. The answer is "simple" - either use a later version of IE or use Firefox or Google Chrome or... That answer is not right if you're on Windows XP or Vista because they won't run the later IE versions. So, if you are sticking with XP or Vista, the answer is even simpler - use Firefox or Google Chrome or...

Part 2 is FTM. This is where I'm guessing since I've never used it. So far as I can see, FTM uses a version of IE8 or IE9 (or even earlier?) internally, to do its Ancestry Web Search within FTM. No, I've no idea how. However, it seems from my Googling that it may offer an "open in external browser" option that will open the results in your ordinary default browser. So my guess is that if your output goes pear-shaped because the FTM-browser acted like IE8/9, then you can use the "open in external browser" to open the results in Firefox or Chrome or .... that you downloaded as a result of my advice in Part 1.

Now - if anyone with any technical understanding can tell me where my advice is lacking - or even tell me it's not too far out, then we'd all be grateful....
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:41 pm

I suggest you have a chat with your local Independent computer shop who will be able to advise you, and, if necessary, update you, and probably for a fraction of the price that one of the big chains would charge you.
I admit to being a computer nerd, but I do run both IE and Google Chrome on my 2 year old windows 7 laptop. GC is by far the most efficient way of running most programs, and certainly Ancestry, and is easy to install. If I can do it anyone can!! But like all things they each have a glitch every now and then. The only website I have found that does not function well on GC is the British Newspaper Archive.
Sally
meekhcs

Postby ColinB » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:15 am

I have just had a reply from Ancestry about these issues. They confirm that whilst a different, recommended browser may be used to search the website it will be necessary to have IE10 or 11 for search to function properly within Family Tree Maker.

"I can confirm that you will need IE 10 or later for optimised searching on Family Tree Maker. Internet Explorer is the built in browser for searching through Family Tree Maker, and it cannot be changed. For Ancestry.co.uk, continue using Mozilla Firefox or Chrome."

I suppose I could get round this by working on my tree on the website and then synchronising with my tree on my computer afterwards so that's ok for me , but I'm sure there will be problems for many subscribers.

Colin
ColinB

Postby Editor » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:27 pm

I've asked for a response from Ancestry regarding this and this is what I was sent:

We apologise for any inconvenience caused to our members using Ancestry or Family Tree Maker (FTM) with Windows XP. Unfortunately Microsoft has stopped supporting the Windows XP operating system and we have made updates to accommodate this change. Moving forward, Ancestry Web Search within Family Tree Maker software will have reduced functionality or may not be supported by Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista or Internet Explorer 8 or 9. In addition, Microsoft Windows 7 or 8 will be required for Ancestry Web Search functionality to work properly. For further assistance, please contact our dedicated member services team on 0800 404 97 23.

Hope this helps. At least you've got an 0800 number to call for assistance.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Genealogy chat