Moderator Control Panel ]

Help identify military uniform please!

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Help identify military uniform please!

Postby gene2bear » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:32 am

This photo has been handed down the family, and is supposedly one James JACKSON (c1787-?) who the family believed was in the Royal Navy about 1820-?
I have a further reference to him in 1816 as being of The Kings Own Staffordshire Militia, when he marries Frances WARD in Bathampton Somerset.
The uniform looks more army than navy to me, but I'm far from certain. I'd love to nail it down to an era or force.
Can anyone identify the uniform itself, the era, or even just eliminate one of the forces!
Thanks
Clare
Attachments
JACKSON JG_2.jpg
JACKSON JG_2.jpg (81.55 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
gene2bear

Re: Help identify military uniform please!

Postby g w aldous » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:02 am

It is Army officer but without a clearer picture hard to say a regt the crossbelt has a regimental crest on it so can you try and get a clearer pic of that.
g w aldous

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:39 am

gene2bear wrote:... the family believed was in the Royal Navy about 1820-? ...

If the family associate him with the Royal Navy, but he's wearing a scarlet coat more normally associated with the Army, then the logical suggestion (not necessarily the right one!) is that he was in the Royal Marines.

The Royal Marines are under the control of the Admiralty (so, sort of Royal Navy) but were effectively ship-borne infantry.

If you look at http://thenapoleonicwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/more-on-marine-conversions-from-victrix.html then there is picture near the bottom of the post showing Marines in various uniforms from the era. One of them is an officer(?) in a cocked hat - red jacket, black collar, black facings with gold braid just like your chap.

I have, however, no gut feeling about whether any other Army uniforms might match...

Adrian
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby gene2bear » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:27 am

Thanks a lot GW and Adrian, all very helpful.

I have just downloaded ADM records from TNA confirming that our man was a 1st Lieutenant in Royal Marines in 1835 when he is applying for his son's entry into the Greenwich Hospital School!

He was then living in Dunkerque, France, and had joined the Plymouth Division of Marines on 2nd May 1804, and served on L'Africaine, Phoenix, Hibernia, and Minotaur. Unfortunately no dates for this service, but I'm a lot clearer on my man now!

Can't seem to find any records of service for him at TNA… any other ideas??
Thanks so much for your imput!

Clare

Oh, the pic is sadly a photocopy of the original taken by my uncle many years ago, and he has lost contact with the person holding the original (arrrggghhhh!), so thats the clearest we're going to get at this stage.
gene2bear

Postby g w aldous » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:38 am

Well done Adrian I didn't think of the "Boots".. :lol:
g w aldous

Postby gene2bear » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:13 am

So, GW, pardon my absolute ignorance in these matters, but does "Boots" refer to the Marines, and was it a derogatory term used by the Sailors??? :)
Getting a lot further along with our Marine now, thanks so much to all for the pointers!
Clare
gene2bear

Postby g w aldous » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:47 am

Boots is the nickname for the Royal marines still used today because they go mostly by foot, whereas I wouldn't be caught outside a vehicle too much like hard work, Ex RAOC/RLC.
g w aldous

Re: James JACKSON, RM, Dunkerque 1835

Postby gene2bear » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:45 am

As always, every answer brings more questions!

I'm wondering why on earth my ancestor above is living in Dunkerque at that particular time?

Was there a military base there? Was he hiding out? :shock:

As far as we can tell James died the following year, in Spain, but his widow, Frances, lived there for the rest of her life, dying in 1872, so she was quite settled!

Any thoughts?

Clare
gene2bear

Return to Military help