Moderator Control Panel ]

Munitions volunteer WW1

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Munitions volunteer WW1

Postby helena » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:11 am

My great grandfather died on 28th June 1918 of phthisis aged 36 leaving my grandfather aged 8. His death certificate states he'd had it 2 years, 4 months and 14 days. His widow always stated he'd caught it from fighting in the trenches, however I can't find him in the medal roll or service records. His occupation was a boot warehouseman and he lived in Smethwick Staffordshire. I have a photo of the 3 of them which looks to have been taken not long before George died. On his lapel is a badge which I have identified as being an Army/War munitions volunteer badge. So my question now is are there records for the AMV and if so where? Smethwick is on the edge of the Black Country so ideal for munitions.

Any help appreciated
helena

Re: Munitions volunteer WW1

Postby brunes08 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:48 pm

Phthisis is one of the names often used instead of TB and other lung diseases. He could have caught TB anywhere back then not necessarily in the trenches. Men had to be 'fighting fit' in the trenches so any noticeable ill health would have been dealt with quickly before it spread. Not sure if that helps. Hope so a little bit.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby Sylcec » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:14 pm

If you put the term "Munition Volunteer Workers" into the National Archives Discovery catalogue you will get about 27 hits - nothing actually digitised on-line, but the summaries should give you some idea.
Sylcec

Postby helena » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks, I did wonder if his TB was discovered at an Army medical hence being a volunteer. HE died at a hospital in Smethwick and was still listed as a boot warehouseman on his death certificate.

I hope to visit Kew in a couple of months but hoped I could get some idea of records (if there are any) beforehand. I may have to go to Smethwick?
helena

Return to Military help