Moderator Control Panel ]

Deserters

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Deserters

Postby ugleymark » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:26 pm

Does anybody know if there is a website or a good book that covers WW1 deserters that survived? Many covers those that were shot but there must be stories of those who hid/escaped etc.
ugleymark

Re: Deserters

Postby phsvm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:59 pm

I don't know if there's anything specific but it's worth looking on the Great War Forum or posting on there - it anyone knows, one of their members will.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... hp?act=idx
phsvm

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:09 pm

I wonder if there was a "statute of limitations" on desertion. If not - or if it was a long period - then people would not say anything until many years had passed, by which time many tales would have grown in the telling. And by definition there could be no official contemporary sources. I'm not dismissing the possibility but right now I do wonder. ...

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:27 pm

And of course, large numbers of those deserters who were caught, survived. Not all those who were convicted were sentenced to death and of those, only a fraction were executed. The Australian Army, it might be added, did not have the death sentence for straight desertion but - contrary to some people's assertion - the Australians did have the death penalty but you had to be aiding the enemy or similar to be sentenced to death there.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:31 pm

I seem to remember one of the WDYTYA programmes some time back - sorry can't remember which celebrity it was - but an ancestor was a deserter. I think there was something about a list maybe an official one or in the newspaper. The story revolved round south London towards Kent, I think. There was also something about the police looking for deserters. Sorry for not being any more helpful but perhaps you could could perhaps contact the magazine.

Just remembered that in the July magazine are photos of all the celebrities who have been on the programme. I've just had a quick look and think it could have been either David Mitchell or Alan Carr. Can't be more precise than that, I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:51 pm

I think it was Alan Carr... Good point - it might give you some clues if you want that detail.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby phsvm » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:55 am

Yes it WAS Alan Carr. There was a long discussion on the forum about how many people didn't like the show because of his attitude towards the relative who had deserted.
phsvm

Postby peter kent » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:53 pm

Also see the National Archives research guide
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... h-20th.htm

It contains advice on tracking down original documents and contains a list of books on the subject.
peter kent

Return to Military help