Moderator Control Panel ]

Alfred George WOODCOCK

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Alfred George WOODCOCK

Postby Victor Nutt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:49 am

Hi all, does anyone have any information concerning Alfred George Woodcock's WW1 military records please? He was born in 1891 and died in 1960. He was the son of Albert King Woodcock and Celia Cackett and married to Rose Annie Watts. I am trying to put some details together for the North West Kent Family History Society about any of my family who served in WW1 for a display that will be used to commemorate the anniversary of 1914-18, in libraries in our area, ie. N.W.Kent. I have his picture with him in uniform with his wife but I have no idea about his service record. If anyone can help I would be grateful. Thanks, Victor
Victor Nutt

Re: Alfred George WOODCOCK

Postby ColinB » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:34 am

It doesn't seem that his service record has survived , but there are a number of Alfred Woodocks. I haven't been able to identify his medal card as it doesn't appear that his second name or initial was used. ( I also checked Lives of the First World Ward and can't identify him from the Woodcocks listed there ). Do you know which was his regiment ? If not perhaps you could post the photograph to see if someone here can identify his uniform.

Colin
ColinB

Postby Victor Nutt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi Colin, you've had the same luck as me! I'll put his picture up but I'm fairly sure it's not going to help. I've got no idea of his regiment although I have a funny feeling his father was in the Middlesex regiment, which might prove useful or maybe even a red herring! At least one other member of the extended family was with the Middlesex during WW1.
I have posted the same request on the Woodcock family Facebook page in the hope that one of them may have an answer.
Anyway, thanks again for the interest in looking for him, hopefully here comes his photo. Regards, Victor
Attachments
Alfred Woodcock and wife Rosa Annie (nee Watts).jpg
Alfred Woodcock and wife Rosa Annie (nee Watts).jpg (19.59 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
Victor Nutt

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Any Absent Voters Lists for the area? In the absence of chance finds such as newspapers, these can be the only comprehensive source of unit and service numbers when soldiers' papers do not survive.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Victor Nutt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Thanks Adrian,
I've now tried the Absent Voters List and no joy. I've also tried TNA and Electoral Rolls and still no luck. He seems to have disappeared but I know when he died! If only someone can shed light on his regiment I could then try their records. I'm still hoping someone from the Woodcock family group on Facebook will come through.
Regards, Victor
Victor Nutt

Postby Sylcec » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:06 am

Victor - I'm wondering if he married during the war, or at least after enlistment, and whether his children were born while he was a soldier. Marriage or birth certificates might then show his occupation in terms of rank and regiment.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:12 am

As Alfred and Rose married 1st qtr 1918 and as he is in uniform in the picture - presumably taken at or after the marriage, then you need to obtain, or carefully re-examine the marriage certificate for clues to regiment:
Marriage reg: 1918, 1st qtr, West Ashford, vol. 2A, p.1999.

The other thought I then have - could his military service have continued into the 1920s? If so, then his service records may indeed exist and still be with the MOD.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Victor Nutt » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for your thoughts. I will send for the marriage certificate but I shall wait until I have exhausted other avenues first and save my £9.50 until then! I'm meeting the Facebook Woodcock archivist in a few days and hopefully between him, another cousin and myself we may be able to come up with an answer. Oh for an early release of the 1921 census!!
The photo belongs to someone else so I don't know if it is dated or not, but it could just have been taken before he went to war - they don't look too happy for a wedding picture, do they! Mind you, as they married early in 1918 there was still a lot of war to come before hostilities ceased.
I'll check out birth certificates for children as well, but again, I'll save my money until I get desperate! There are five possibilities, one in the fourth quarter of 1918 in West Ashford, and four in Hollingbourne in 1922, 1925, 1928 and 1932.
I'll bare in mind the MOD records but will wait to see what comes from this family meeting.

Thanks again for your help,

Victor
Victor Nutt

Postby jeffward » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:41 pm

In the photo he is wearing riding breeches which would point to a mounted regiment but as he is also wearing a lanyard on his left shoulder it is more likely he was in an artillery regiment possibly the Royal Field Artillery. It is unlikely he was in the infantry ;they did not wear breeches, although he could have been in the Royal Engineers or the Army Service Corps.Also there does not appear to be any badges of rank so he would be listed as either a Gunner, a Sapper or a Trooper.Regards Jeff Ward
jeffward

Postby Victor Nutt » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:33 pm

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the suggestions. It now gives me somewhere to look even though it will take time. It might also jog the memory of someone in the family, you never know. With more records becoming 'saved' and then available I might get lucky.

Regards,

Victor
Victor Nutt

Next

Return to Military help