Moderator Control Panel ]

Brick wall pls help

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Brick wall pls help

Postby Lorrainnel » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:04 pm

I am still researching my ancestor William Styles born 1827 in Cliddesden Hampshire, his mother was Mary Penton Tubb born 1808 in Cliddesden and married his father Thomas Styles in 1826 in St. Bride Fleet Street, London, her husband was a Mail Guard and died before 1834 as she remarried John Curtis in 1834 - may of been a baker .. I got lots of help and useful information, last time I put a post on here, but still searching ...
Between 1834 -1861 I can find nothing for Mary Penton Styles/Curtis from 1830 until 1861 and very little about her son William styles - I know his wife Eliza holland who was from Norwood Surrey, died in 1908 in the Croydon Workhouse - which was near to where she was born , her husband William Styles is listed on certificates as a Publican and Licensed Victualler (although Metropolitan Archives hold no records for Hackney) he was living at 5 Wells Street Hackney in 1861 with his mother who was a widow and ​his wife - census states retired gentleman of his own means. After this nothing found on him or his mother again and little on his wife - can anyone find anything 1834 onwards ...if you can assist in anyway I would much appreciate it. Many thanks
Last edited by Lorrainnel on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lorrainnel

Re: Brick wall pls help

Postby callbrian » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:39 pm

Hi
I think I've found your man.
1851, 36 East Cheap, London City, barman b Cleavedon Hants.
As you stated!
1861, 5 Wells St, South Hackney,
Wm Stiles gentleman, Clidoden, Hants
Eliza wife 31, b Norwood
Mary Curtis, 54, mother Clidoden.
The above shows why you have had problems finding him/them.
I will see if I can find more.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby callbrian » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi
a possible for Mary Curtis 1851 is..
John Curtis b 1805 baker, East Coker, Somerset
Mary b 1809, Hants.
78, St Georges Rd, Southwark.
Brian
callbrian

Postby callbrian » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi
just out of interest, I checked out the deadpubs website. The link is for 36, East Cheap, which may or may not interest you. No mention of William (barman) but will perhaps provide a little background.
It is a wonderful website to meander through, when you have time.
http://pubshistory.com/LondonPubs/Billi ... Calf.shtml
Brian
callbrian

Postby callbrian » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:29 am

Hi
William Stiles 1841 census. Born out the county.
15, MS which I presume is male servant. Wenlock Arms, Wenlock Rd, Shoreditch. Licensee is a George Bowden.
This also appears on the deadpubs website.
No sign of his mother or John Curtis.
Brian
callbrian

Postby Lorrainnel » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:39 am

Wow thank you - you have got more in a day then I have got in years, can I ask where you find the information, as I have been using ancestry and little found to-date and would really like to find as much information about my gt gt grandfather William styles and his mother Mary penton Curtis nee tubb/styles. Thanks again, much appreciated. Lorrainne
Lorrainnel

Postby Lorrainnel » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:06 pm

callbrian wrote:Hi
William Stiles 1841 census. Born out the county.
15, MS which I presume is male servant. Wenlock Arms, Wenlock Rd, Shoreditch. Licensee is a George Bowden.
This also appears on the deadpubs website.
No sign of his mother or John Curtis.
Brian

I checked the deadpubs website, I didn't find anymore information on my ancestor William styles, but really interesting and worthwhile and will keep in mind in the future. Have you any suggestions how I would also find further information on his mother born mary Curtis nee styles and tubb?
Thanks again for all your help, you've been so kind in researching my ancestors.
Lorrainnel

Postby callbrian » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi
you probably know this already! Mary Penton Tubb, father William Tubb, mother Elizabeth. Christened 03 April 1808, Cliddesden.
Brian
callbrian

Postby Lorrainnel » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:29 pm

callbrian wrote:Hi
you probably know this already! Mary Penton Tubb, father William Tubb, mother Elizabeth. Christened 03 April 1808, Cliddesden.
Brian

Yes have this thank you - although haven't found a marriage for William tubb and Elizabeth so unsure of her second name and very little on mary penton Curtis nee styles and tubb - if you come across anything in the future. any updates would be much appreciated, thanks you again for all your help. Lorrainne
Lorrainnel

Postby Lorrainnel » Thu May 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi I'm still looking for death records or further census records after 1861 for Mary Curtis nee tubb - if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Lorrainnel

Return to General research queries