Moderator Control Panel ]

Julian Farrance & Robert Fleming (National Army Museum)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Re: Julian Farrance & Robert Fleming (National Army Museum)

Postby National Army Museum » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:11 am

purplepumpkin wrote:These are photos of my great grandfather George Rorrison Gibson of Port Glasgow, Scotland seemingly in two different uniforms. Unfortunately no-one in the family knows which regiment he served in and I cannot tell from these photos - any help in identification of unit would be most appreciated

Hi there,

Sorry we missed you on Friday - it seems we had a technical hitch as we certainly typed a response at the time!

We can tell from your pictures that your grandfather was in the Royal Scots Regiments. We know this because of his cap badge, which features the distinctive St. Andrew and the Saltaire design.

In the first picture, your grandfather is wearing a Tam O'Shanter cap, which is distinctive to Scottish units, but the uniform is general service. In the second he's wearing a Highland General Service Uniform with kilt, which is very obviously Scottish. The cap in the second picture is a Glengarry which is also a feature of the Royal Scots Regiment.

Finally, a couple of other observations; the horizontal stripe on your grandfather's lower left sleeve is a two years' 'long service' or 'good conduct' stripe. You can also see the outline of a 'wound stripe' - the vertical stripe on outside of left lower sleeve - received by soldiers if they were wounded during combat.

Many thanks for submitting your enquiry and once again apologies for the late reply.

Julian and Rob
National Army Museum

Postby National Army Museum » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:14 am

DottyB wrote:Thanks Julian & Rob.
I have attached a closer view of the cap badge & shoulder badge appears to read L&C or something similar - does this give any further clues?

Hi Dotty,

This had us scratching our heads a little - however we think we've cracked it.

We think the shoulder badge actually reads 'ASC', suggesting he is from the Army Service Corps. The badge design also matches the ASC badge.

Thank you,

Rob and Julian
National Army Museum

Postby DottyB » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:01 am

Rob & Julian.
Thank you sooo much!
When I posted the photograph I have to say it was with little hope of any leads I may be able to follow.
Next step is now to try and discover what I can about ASC & what involvement they had in WW1.
Once again, thanks very much for your knowledge & assistance.
Dotty
DottyB

Previous

Return to Live web chats