Moderator Control Panel ]

Lancashire Fusiliers WW1 battles

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Lancashire Fusiliers WW1 battles

Postby Sue Harris » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:56 am

Hello,

My grandfather was in the 11th battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers during WWI. He enlisted 7 January 1915. He was injured while fighting at the Somme. He is actually named in a list of men injured on 28 September 1916 in the battalion War Diary. He was brought back to England where after several months he was invalided out of the army. He was given a Silver Badge numbered 216,522 and discharged 28 July 1917. Unfortunately I am unable to find any service or pension records. My grandfathers service number was 13495.

Apparently my grandfather would often talk about the Dardanelles, as well as the Somme. I don't believe that the 11th battalion Lancashire Fusiliers served in the Dardanelles.

(1) Is there any way of telling whether my grandfather was initially in another battalion or even another regiment prior to joining the 11th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers?
(2) Are there any records to indicate which hospital(s) my grandfather was in during his recovery and the extent of his injuries?
Sue Harris

Re: Lancashire Fusiliers WW1 battles

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:36 pm

Are we talking about Ernest W Claxton, 13495 of the Lancs Fusiliers?

If so, then his Medal Index Card shows he was only issued with the British War and Victory Medals, not the Star. That means he first entered after 1/1/1916 and so could not have been at Gallipoli himself. Presumably he talked to others (not necessarily in the Lancs Fusiliers) either in service or in training who had been there.

Without his service records there is, in this instance, no way of tracing any information about his battalion as he could have been in any of the Service Battalions - or even the Regulars? Or any previous regiment. (The later Territorial numbers are battalion specific).

As for hospital records, I think the conventional wisdom is that only the tiniest portion survive. More gold dust destroyed in the Arnside St fire.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:46 pm

Bother - got a bit wrong. Date information above is still correct. However, the Medal Rolls will usually give the battalion numbers for overseas service only. The Rolls are the documents that the Index Cards point to and are only to be accessed at Kew.

The fact that there is only one regiment and number on the MI Card means he was only in the Lancs Fusiliers when abroad and only in a Service or Regular battalion when abroad. None of which alters the fact that the dates mean he was not at Gallipoli.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby brunes08 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:29 pm

I don't know for your grandfather but on my grandfather's 1WW records, it does say which hospitals he was treated in for his injury. Similarly for an uncle. Presumably some records have more detail than others. Hope that helps a little.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
brunes08

Postby Sue Harris » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Thank you both (AdrainB38 & brune08) for giving me advise. I thought that Army Pension Records survived WW2 bombing but I've been unable to trace either of my grandfathers. Its so frustrating as they could help me with so many queries.
Sue
Sue Harris

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:47 pm

The "real" pension records are - I think - with the Western Front Association who are investigating digitising them. What Ancestry call Pension records are really just the normal soldiers' papers that happened to be in the pension offices (so avoiding the fire) for reasons no one really understands. And they are only a very small percentage of pensioners.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sue Harris » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:57 am

Wonderful. Thanks so much for telling me. I've never read this before. I will be getting in touch with them very shortly.
Fingers crossed
Sue
Sue Harris

Postby JaneyH » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:18 pm

Dear Sue,

Just a word of warning about pension records held at the Western Front Association. There's roughly a two month wait at the moment for look-ups. I applied for my Great Grandfather's records in early May and had an email back very quickly to say my request would be looked at some time in July. They're a small organisation with limited resources and inevitably much higher demand now the centenary is almost upon us. I'm not saying don't apply, just ensuring you know what to expect. And it costs £25 (£15 refunded if unsuccessful).

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Return to Military help