Moderator Control Panel ]

"First World War Site Launches" Article in On the record

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

"First World War Site Launches" Article in On the record

Postby phsvm » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:41 pm

As I am currently reseraching the WW1 soldiers listed on my village war memorial I was particularly intersted in the article "First World War Site Launches" in the On The Record section of the latest WDYTYA magazine (July ed).

Initially I thought what a great idea for individuals to be able to add details of WW1 soldiers to a readily available, on line record for any one to see. But then I started to think more about this and came to the conclusion that although I shall add all the information I have carefully researched about the soliders (and list my research sources) I am working on I wonder how many people will add information that isn't researched but is what they assume is correct. For example I was recently told by the grand daughter of one of the soliders I am reseraching that her grandfather never saw his daughter (her mother) as he'd gone to fight before she was born. Documentary evidence quite clearly shows that actually she was born 3 months to the day before he attested.

I can envisage this site turning into another collection like those on on-line family trees where the information is incorrect and misleading and not a reliable source for serious genealogitst to turn to.
phsvm

Re: "First World War Site Launches" Article in On the record

Postby ColinB » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:59 pm

I registered with the site a few days ago and located several relatives about whom I have information. The site does not allow you to enter any 'facts' without first recording details of the evidence you have and how it relates to an individual. It does allow you to input 'personal knowlege ' in the form of a story but it makes it clear that it is unsourced . I'm not finding it particularly easy to do so far and I can imagine that the clickologists of this world will largely be put off by the effort they will need to make , indeed judging by some of the feedback on the site others with more serious intentions may also be discouraged. There are also some complaints about charging - apparently if you want to use the site to search for a record there are charges involved , even if the search uses findmypast for example and you are already a subscriber. As it stands the objective of having a profile for every serviceman by the end of 2018 seems rather ambitious.

Colin
ColinB

Postby phsvm » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks Colin. Maybe if it has a restrictions on how to enter info it'll be better than I portrayed it!
phsvm

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:02 pm

The method of working is quite different from the usual family history methodology of fact first, source it later. If you remember.

Unsurprisingly the different approach is putting some off. Frankly I applaud the IWM for trying a different approach - I suspect that not everyone appreciates how flexible in their beliefs some family historians can be. I had to explain to some military historians that my phrase "pedigrees back to Adam" was not a figure of speech.

There is no need to pay - if you have a subscription to Ancestry or FMP you can simply refer to the data there, giving its URL. Yes it's not as simple as it would be if Lives could read FMP directly but I think people are missing the point there - Lives is not an FMP or DC Thompson site - it's an IWM site for which DCT happen to be the contractor and so needs to be kept separate.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby callbrian » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:27 am

Hi
I also joined after reading this current issue in the WDYTYA? magazine.
I knew of at least three relatives I could add information on. I quickly came across several problems. There were two alternatives for my maternal grandfather and I wasn't certain of his service number (no online records of his service). My paternal grandfather was easier, I had a copy of his "burnt records". I have added a photograph, no problem. I have tried to add my known information,  using the "top tip". I have added details of my sources, eg census or certificates but I still can't add any detail, date of birth etc. I have contacted the IWM  or DCThomson (wherever the email goes to), still awaiting a reply.
I am concerned that if I upload a copy of a certificate or items downloaded from Ancestry etc, can I be in breach of copyright laws.
After watching various programmes about WW1 and the recent D-day celebrations, this incentive by the IWM is a brilliant idea. I can see why they are being diligent in what is going to be added but I can see a lot of people being put off by the method of adding information. 
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby ColinB » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:08 am

Hi Brian,

I think you would be in breach of copyright if you attach images. I seem to remember seeing a warning that such things would be removed.

Colin
ColinB

Postby callbrian » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:55 am

Hi
Thanks Colin.
I have received the following from "lives......." which hasn't made things that much clearer.
Dear Brian, 
Thank you for your email
As a general rule, if you have an original family document such as a photo, letter, or original certificate in your possession, you probably have the right to reproduce it.
If you had to pay to access it (for example, using a newspaper archive or a family history website) you probably don’t have the right to reproduce it.
For more information regarding copyright on Lives of the First World War, please view the following FAQs -http://support.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/knowledgebase/topics/49911-copyright

Regards
Brian
callbrian

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:50 am

Given the number of different circumstances, I don't think Lives can be any clearer without writing volumes. The simple answer to your query is - no you can't upload stuff you've previously got from Ancestry, FindMyPast, FamilySearch etc.

It isn't just copyright but also the terms and conditions you signed up to.

Naturally there are all sorts of exceptions but....

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby callbrian » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:42 pm

Thanks for putting me right. Terms and conditions obviously come in to play as well.
callbrian

Postby coopernicola » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:12 pm

I registered and had a go at the IWM site today. Having found my man I followed steps to detail full name, DOB/DOD & marriage information. I also included his DCM citation, military information and a photograph. It took me an hour :( AND I then discovered I seem to have created a duplicate rather than updating the original!?! I thought I was good with tech but this was rather painful. I'm determined to have another go tomorrow.
Nicola
coopernicola

Next

Return to Magazine chat