Moderator Control Panel ]

Phil Tomaselli (Second World War)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Re: LCT 7086 and the D-Day Landings

Postby Phil Tomaselli » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:08 pm

David Lea wrote:Hi Phil

I'm trying to find out more about my Uncle who was an Ordinary Seaman on board LCT 7086 during D-Day. I know he was with 6 LCT Flotilla, ‘H’ LCT Squadron, Force ‘L’ which was based in Harwich and from what he told us when he was alive, his LCT was involved in conveying US servicemen to the Omaha beaches at Normandy. We also know his LCT was damaged by the great storms on 19/06/44 and had to be rescued by a tug called The Griper.

I have his service record which only really gives dates and postings but I would like to put 'some meat on the bones' and find out what he was actually involved in on D-Day itself.

Any help, info or pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

David

I fear this is one where a great deal of "shopping around" will be needed.
Though there are records of some LCT's at Kew they all seem to relate to ones that were sunk or badly damaged. There is a file ADM 199/1560 which contains orders and memoranda for Force L for the landings, which will give some idea of what they were supposed to do (and might even contain information on what they actually did) and there are two files relating to awards for 125 LCT crew members for the Normandy invasion; your uncle is probably not among them (though you never know!) but the recommendations will give a good idea of what the LCT's went through, and they may include someone else from his ship. File ADM 1/15631 contains a report to the Prime Minister on LCT's used during the invasion but is more likely to be statistical than to give details on individual ships. File ADM 199/1645 has reports of landings and actions on D Day from a naval perspective so you may find useful material there, as well as other files in ADM 199 series starting from ADM 199/1550; you can browse on from there. None of these are online.
The Imperial War Museum may have some veterans descriptions of LCT's at D Day and certainly has an extensive photograph collection of them, many of which are online.
The Royal Navy Museum at Portsmouth may have information but I'm afraid that, after numerous problems with their search engine, they've taken it down for the moment while they set up a new one.
For personal experiences of landing craft at D Day try http://www.combinedops.com/LCT_PAGE.htm.
Best of luck.
Phil Tomaselli

Re: Phil Tomaselli

Postby Jon Bauckham » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:02 pm

Thank you for coming onto our forum today Phil and answering the questions. And thank you to everyone who posted!

If you want to find out more about tracing and interpreting WW2 records then I highly recommend Phil's book Tracing Your Second World War Ancestors: A Guide for Family Historians.

Pen and Sword have offered an exclusive discount of 25% off the normal retail price of £12.99 for forum users today. Just use the discount code 561382 when ordering online at www.pen-and-sword.co.uk or phoning 01226 734222.
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Phil Tomaselli (Second World War)

Postby marie1993 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:54 pm

How do you use this to find ur family

~ Zoe ~
marie1993

Previous

Return to Live web chats