Moderator Control Panel ]

DNA Testing for Half-Siblings

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

DNA Testing for Half-Siblings

Postby ermin79 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:43 pm

Does anyone have recommendations for companies which do DNA testing to confirm half-siblings? A work colleague of mine has contacted a person whom he believes is his half-brother however the (possible) father of them both is deceased. A web search brings up lots of companies with prices ranging from £250 - £400 for this kind of testing, but my colleague has no idea of which company might be the best option. Thank you
ermin79

Re: DNA Testing for Half-Siblings

Postby meekhcs » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:18 am

We have used www.familytreedna.com
This company is based in America and is now connected to several Family History sites eg Ancestry.
The 37 marker test should be enough to establish that half siblings do have the same Father and the cost is approx 120 US$ for each person. The only draw back is that coming from America the whole process can take up to 3 Months. Simple swab kits are distributed to each person for use which are then returned to the company. Each kit has its own number and password and can be tracked via the website. Results are posted online and any other "matches" , however distant, will also be shown. There is a high degree of privacy and you have the option as to how many of your details and/or subsequent results are available to others.
Good luck Sally
meekhcs

Postby ermin79 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:10 pm

Thank you Sally, I have passed the details on, I took a look at the site myself and the 37 marker Y test would look to do the job required

Sent from my HTC Desire C using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
ermin79

Postby jendo0483 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:02 am

I think home DNA testing kits are good option for you because they are easily available online at affordable rate. I have used STK Paternity Test Kit. We can test at home.
jendo0483

Postby pete25 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:18 pm

My cousin in the States found two half sisters via Ancestry DNA.

Good luck,

Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby ksouthall » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:16 pm

For anyone interested in DNA testing, Ancestry are running a discount at the moment. They are offering the tests for £59 for postage and packing. Postage costs £20 for the first kit and £10 for additional kits so ordering several kits together would save £10 plus the 25%. You can order up to 10 kits at a time.
ksouthall

Return to General research queries