Moderator Control Panel ]

Help please Royal Horse artillary

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Help please Royal Horse artillary

Postby steph9555 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi I wonder if anyone is able to help, I am trying to trace the service records Of Robert Welch born 1845 Liverpool, father James Welch, in 1851 the family had moved to Deptford and by 1861 Robort was a driver for the Royal Artillary, aged 18, I would really like help to trace hiss records, I know that he went to india, and Married my grandmother by 1872, then went to Ireland by 1880 and back to Greenwich by 1891, and also what is a Farriah sargent in the R H A, hope someone can help
many thanks steph.
Sorry about the spelling :(
steph9555

Re: Help please Royal Horse artillary

Postby ColinB » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:25 pm

There is a service record for a Robert Welch , b abt 1843 in Liverpool , attesting in 1861. He saw long service in India in the Artillery and his next of kin was his wife , Jane. The record is on findmypast. I think you probably mean Farrier Sergeant - a senior blacksmith in charge of a team of smiths responsible for shoeing the horses etc. I couldn't see any reference to farrier in the record I found although this Robert Welch was a Sergeant.

Colin
ColinB

Postby steph9555 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks a million for looking. I've had no idea as to where to look. Would a soldier who joined in Ireland would his papers b at find my past to, I don't have a subscriptions. I think it's something I need to look at many thAnks steph
steph9555

Postby steph9555 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi Colin many thanks for the info I found the records seven pages I think. It looks full of wonderful info about my grandfather, just need to gr8 to grips with the weighting lol
steph9555

Postby Sylcec » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:32 pm

Steph - regarding your supplementary question about soldiers from Ireland. Yes, the British Army drew their men from England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland - indeed there were very many Irish rank and files soldiers. If a man did not die in service and completed the requisite number of years to qualify for a pension, then his service records should be included in the WO97 series, often referred to as "Chelsea Pensions" available on FindMyPast.
Sylcec

Return to Military help